Question about a Sprgfld 1903

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by dude67, May 21, 2010.

1. dude67

dude67 New Member

Hello All,
    Brand new to this board. I have been given a Springfield 1903 from my late father in law. I has a sport stock. I don't
    like it!!! I want to convert back to Military stock. I know I can find the stock but which one Type "S" Type "C". Also can I find all the metal to convert back? The numbers are as follows:

Sprifld 1903 S/N 1191686
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

That serial number suggests an "S" stock. The "C" stock, If I remember correctly, came out later. Many of the early ones were refitted with the C stock during and after the war.

Actually, a sporterized 03 or 03A3 is a part of our history. Many thousands were purchased and converted to hunting rifles after each of the two wars (most after WWII.) I got mine in early 1948 and did not replace the stock. I did take off the tip of the upper forearm and shape the lower forearm. I left just enough to leave the sling swivel in place. Then I mounted a nice recoil pad and put Lyman triple peep sights on it. I used that rifle for 1000 yard competition and hunting for several decades.

Pops

Pops
  3. wpage

wpage Active Member

You owe your Dad in law a big thank you! Thats a real nice gift. There is a ton of information on the net. Recomend starting with a google search on any variation of what you have...
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Original M1903 stocks are scarce and expensive if in good shape. Repros can be bought, but normally take some fitting and knowledgeable finishing to make them work and look right. The correct metal can usually be obtained from Gun Parts Corp. and others.

Jim
  5. dude67

dude67 New Member

Thanks for to all. I have found a few original stocks. Some
    with metal and some without. I'll keep looking.
  6. oneshot onekill

oneshot onekill New Member

I'd make sure it's actually a "Sporterized" '03 before I replaced the stock. I believe there were '03 models that came from Springfield with "Sporter" Stocks... And they're considerably more valuable.