Question about Berry's Bullets

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by ckelley, Mar 5, 2010.

1. ckelley

ckelley Member

I plan on using the Berry's 155 FP with Unique for my .40 S&W Glock 22. I have read quite a few times that lead data should be used for plated bullets, however, Berry's site suggests using low to mid-range jacketed data for their bullets. The Lyman manual shows 5.8-6.5gr for 155gr jacketed and 4.8-5.8gr for a 175gr cast (no 155gr cast in the manual so I am referencing data for the next heavier bullet). Where should I start off with? Should I start with the lead data and work up, or follow Berry's suggestion and use the low end of the jacketed data and work up? Thanks in advance for any input.

ckelley
  2. medalguy

medalguy Member

I don't load .40 but I do load .45 and 9, among others, with Berry's. I try to shoot for (pardon the pun) velocities around 1,000 fps and don't have any problems. I have heard others using Berry's talking about shredded jackets and triple holes in their targets when the velocity gets over 1,200. Try a few with Berry's suggestion and see how they work is my best idea. If you start seeing problems, just back the load down a little.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Berry's Bullets and Rainier are similar products and neither are jacketed bullets. They are cast or swaged (??) lead bullets that are plated with pure copper.

Real jacketed bullets start with a thin jacket made of a copper nickel alloy. The lead bullet is then put into the jacket by a swaging operation.

The differences are the thickness of of the resultant outer covering, and the materials used in the outer covering. The jacketed bullets have an outer surface many times thicker than the plating on the Berry's Bullets and Rainier bullets. The copper nickel alloy of the jacketed bullets is harder than the pure copper coating on the plated bullets.

The bottom line is that the Berry's Bullets and Rainier are the same as cast or swaged bullets. They should be treated the same in that their velocities should be limited to sub 1000 FPS. The copper plating is there to minimize the leading. That plated surface of the Berry's Bullets and Rainier bullets is easily damaged by the rifle bore if the velocity limits are not followed.

If it is jacketed bullet performance you are after then use jacketed bullets. A cheaper alternative is to use the bulk packaged jacketed bullets from Winchester or Remington.

I use Rainier plated bullets in some of my revolvers and some semi-autos but limit their velocities to under 1000 FPS. I like the REM or WIN bulk jacketed bullets for any caliber that I shoot at over 1000 FPS.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  4. ckelley

ckelley Member

I will be loading these just for plinking ammo, so I will just start my loads with the starting lead charges and work up from there keeping them around the 1000 fps velocity or under. Thanks again for your help guys.

ckelley
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

its easier the maintain that 1000 fps or lower with heavier bullets, you may have a load at 1000 or lower with the 155s but it may be too light to reliably operate the action. A .40 S&W will propel a 155 to 1100 or more depending on the powder used so I would recommend the heaviest bullet berrys offers do develop your plinking loads with. This will keep your pressures up so your weapon functions properly and your velocities down so your barrel wont foul out with lead and your bullets come apart in flight...
  6. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

I have no experience with Berry's but have put about 500 124gr. 9mm Rainier RN through a S&W 5906 and a Ruger SR9 all loaded toward the lower power levels listed in the manuals with no problems. I have put 500 185gr. .45apc Rainiers again loaded toward the lower 750fps range through my Gold Cup. Accuracy fell way off after a couple hundred rounds. Checked the bore and had considerable copper and lead build up. Gave a real good cleaning and accuracy returned. Still got 1000 200gr. .45apc Rainers loaded and will use them up as soon as weather permits. Have always had a leading problem in that Gold cup, tried the Rainiers as a cheaper alternative to fmj. If I have the same build up problem with these 200gr. don't think I will order any more. Think will just spend the extra money and stay with fmj. These were all loaded just as plinking rounds.