The Firearms Forum banner

Question about black powder hunting

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Grizzley1 
#1 ·
While on my way home from the range yesterday my friend and I got to talking about deer hunting. He asked me a question about black powder hunting and I told him I would ask here on the forum, but I forgot to ask last night. I just got an email from him about something else and it jogged my memory.

I have a H&R handi-rifle chambered in 45/70, can I load up some black powder cartridges and use them during black powder season? OR would that still be considered a modern firearm?

#2 ·
Its legal in Ms. and La. but AFAIK those are the only two states they are legal in. They are legal here(Ms) with smokeless powder and scopes and I think La. is the same. I have hunted in Ga. before and the law then for primitive weapons was muzzle loader only but scopes were legal.

#6 · (Edited)
Illegal here in Tn as well. Gotta load from the business end but it doesn't have to be black powder either. A buddy of mine has a Ruger, I think, that shoots smokeless. Something like 44 gr of IMR-4227.

#7 ·
Here in Oregon it doesn't have to load from the front, it just can't fire a self contained metallic cartridge, so an 1859 sharps that is still a paper cutter and uses percussion caps can be used but you can't use one if it's been converted.

Of course we have some other strange rules, no scopes, no 209 primers, no ballistic tips, bullets can't be more than 2x the caliber in length, ignition source must be exposed to the elements. We used to not be able to use fiber optic sights but they changed that one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.