Question about Buckshot

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by gun runner, Jun 21, 2012.

1. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Can all buckshot regardless what kind be used in all 12 gauge shotguns? Actually can all 12 gauge shotguns tolerate buckshot without any damage?

I bought a break open single shot Stevens 12 gauge and I dont want to damage anything.

Thanks
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Generally speaking if you have a US made shotgun with "forged steel" barrel(s) that was made after 1925, and is in sound mechanical condition; it will safely handle any factory multi-projectile ammo that is of the correct shell length for the chamber. Even older guns, that are of questionable soundness, rarely fail. Thus, many persons insist that they are safe to shoot based on past experiences. With ballistics matters, there are more probabilities than certainties.

Do not shoot 3" shells in a 2 3/4" chamber, as doing so will create abnormally high pressures, even though the shell will seem to fit OK. Shooting a lot of 2 3/4" Magnum lead "BB" to "OOO" buckshot through a full choke barrel is not to be recommended, as it my loosen the choke; but it is not likely to cause obvious gun damage from a few shots. Steel shot is harder on barrels and chokes than lead shot. It should be used only in guns built to tolerate it.

Simply stated, heavy loads stress and wear any gun, more and faster, than light loads. Heavy loads have their legitimate purposes; but just punching holes in paper targets or shattering clay pigeons are not usually such purposes.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  3. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

It handles 2 3/4" and 3" shotshells. I believe it is a full choke I shot a round yesterday of 00 and I have a bruise on my shoulder. Any more info would be appreciated but I think you just about said everything necessary.
  4. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Also the 00 is 3" Remington Express Magnum 00 Buckshot. It has a lead warning so Im assuming its lead shotshells. It sure kicks alot so Im going to kind of stay away from it and just for occasional purposes.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

itll be fine. most any shotgun can shoot buckshot safely as its dead soft lead balls. works best in a full choke.

Wouldnt shoot anything AT ALL from a damascus steel barreled scattergun tho.