The Firearms Forum banner

question about carved X´s

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Hawg 
#1 ·
hi, sorry i cant post any pictures, but im wondering about a flintlock pistol im looking at. the brass bottom of the handle has 5-6 hand made X´ses, what could that be, or why.
thank you

#3 ·
There is no way to tell what was on the guys mind when he made them, number of battles survived, duels won, number of children or ex wives he had or perhaps he just liked x's.

Some men couldn't read or write so they made their mark as an x, perhaps it's his signature as Hawg suggested.

#5 ·
There is no way to tell what was on the guys mind when he made them, number of battles survived, duels won, number of children or ex wives he had or perhaps he just liked x's.
Some years back I bought a Winchester 94 30/30 that's probably been knocking around Sitka since 1940 or thereabouts. Nothing special about it, except four brass tacks stacked vertically alongside the buttplate on the right side. One friend speculated they represent four deer - pretty skimpy record if that's the case, while another suggested they stood for girlfriends - lots of little villages in these parts. :)

#6 ·
About twenty or so years ago I stumbled across an 1803 Harpers Ferry rifle, it was a bit rougher than the price the guy wanted for it for me to turn loose of the cash but the most intriguing thing about it to me was that it had five notches carved into the butt stock, I've always wondered what they signified to who ever carved them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.