Question about Castle Doctrine law

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by ilovenxstage, Jun 16, 2012.

1. ilovenxstage

ilovenxstage New Member

In Indiana we have the Castle Doctrine/Stand Your Ground law. My question is would that apply to a rented apartment that is not actually my property?
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Unless there is some Indiana case law to the contrary, a rented apartment that is your actual home ( or residence) would be no different than a house that you own and occupy as a residence or home. Also, a person may have more than one residence or home.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Where you live is your home. Don't matter if you own or rent or someone is letting you live there for free. Don't matter if it's a house, an apartment, a condo, a trailer or a 5th-wheel at the RV campground. You live there, it's your home, it's your castle.

That applies to your motel room, too. You might just be there one night, but you rented it, it's your home for the night, the law applies.
  4. ilovenxstage

ilovenxstage New Member

Thanks for the information.
  5. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

Check the law, Pennsylvania passed a new castle doctrine recently and it extends to anywhere you have the right to be, whether a restaurant, public park, walking down street etc. Not just "home".
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Folks, when it comes to the law, I take every opportunity I can to ask the professionals! If you do not have a good Lawyer picked out for the time that you might have to use a gun, then now is the time to do so. He will be able to answer any questions you may have on this, or any other issue. I live on the TX, LA line, so I spend a lot of time in LA. The lawyer I chose is with a firm that can practice law in both states. Your local DA is another good choice for getting answers to your questions. My lawyer's business card is right behind my CCW, which is right behind my DL, in my wallet.
  7. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

yep.. many states allow the 'any place you are legally allowed to be'