The Firearms Forum banner

Question about Cimarron and Dixie

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  trespoe 
#1 ·
I have noticed in duelist's BP videos he mentions Dixie Gun Works a lot. I have been looking at getting a cap and ball gun (a Walker to be exact) and have a catalog for Cimarron Firearms.

Both are made by Uberti in Italy. Is one shipper better than the other? How is customer service?

It seems Cimarron is a bit pricier but am willing to go with them if they have a better product. In a previous thread someone mentioned that Cimarron hand picks their guns from the assembly line. (search Cimarron on the site to find that)

Thanks

#3 · (Edited)
Have dealt with both a LOT. Cimarron guns are a bit better than others. Uberti makes guns for MANY distributers and they have many different grades. Cimarron sells the top of Uberti's line and once they get them in their hands they go through them and fix any kinks or smooth out the actions. I have a Cimarron 1873 open top 38spl and it has an action as smooth as butter. The only one smoother is Navy Arms IMHO. Dixie is a great company however they are not in the "hand" select business and sell what uberti ships them as shipped. Dixie does not go through them to smooth out any kinks so to speak. IF buying parts, Dixie is the place I would go, if buying guns, I would look at some other distributers who hand select their goods. Just my 2 cents.

#4 ·
I built a brass framed 1851 from DGW parts (cva brand) they were all rough but for all the parts and an extra 1860 bbl I only paid 48 dollars at a gun show the parts were top notch just un-finished I wanted the 1851 to look old so I aged it and it turned out just like I wanted it to

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

the responses mirror the impression I was getting from the two companies. Dixie carries a lot more product (including ammo and the accessories), but it seemed the Cimarron guns were slightly better in quality.

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.