question about dogs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cycloneman, Oct 31, 2011.

1. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Ever drive around and see a dog rolling around on top of a dead carcass?

Why do you think they do this?
  2. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Dominance thing. He that stinks the worst is the baddest........
  3. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

[​IMG]

Its in our DNA. We decended from wolves. Wolves do it to cover their won scent. Its like you using doe scent when deer hunting.
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Our dog does this all the time. My wife hates it, but Olympas is just putting on her perfume. Which is usually Eau de Raccoon. :D
  5. geds

geds New Member

Reminds me of the Far Side cartoon where the male dog is at the front door of his date's house to pick her up for the night. She says "I don't know what you rolled in, but it sure does stink!"
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

just picking up doggy aftershave ...
  7. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

Miss Daisy wasn't happy unless she was dirty.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Have you ever stopped to think about a dogs sence of smell? What stinks to us, must smell really good to a dog! And if you think your dog stinks, what do you smell like to your dog?
  9. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah.
    We had our Husky/Lab cross with us on vacation to the South West some years ago.
    She needed to do her business, so we pulled off the road - we were in a VERY remote desert location in NM - and let her out the door. She ran over a sand-dune, and after several minutes I walked over there to see what was taking so long.
    A VERY dead Armadillo, which she had thoroughly rubbed into her double-layer hair coat.
    We had to share the car with her for MILES before we came to a spot where we could bathe her -

My current American Eskimo dog has this same attraction to turkey poop. As SOON as he smells some, he is on his back, rubbing it in to his nice white coat.

I think you are right, Carver. They seem to LOVE this -
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

My wifes mom has a small dog named rags. he a chihuahua, but somehow came out with shaggy hair and giant ears, inbred i suppose. Hes a great dog and sylvia like to keep him clean and well groomed. but everytime Jack, my FIL, brings him out to the range he runs to the nearest pile of horsecrap and takes a dive. its just a dog thing. like sniffing each others butts.. its like us shaking hands.
  11. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

uhh... there are long hair chihuahuas... :);)
  12. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

yeah but they peel just the same as the short haired ones
  13. geds

geds New Member

You had me chuckling for a while with this one! My lab rolled in an armadillo carcass on a walk from home, so we left her outside until we could arrange time to give her a bath. I can only imagine what that would've been like couped up in a car with that smell!
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I know but his momma and daddy werent longhairs. They were both skronny shorthair chihuahuas with paranoid schizophrenic personalities. Rags is a go getter. Hes a lab stuck in a small body.
  15. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

We had to put my mother-in-law in a nursing home a few months ago, so we get to keep her dog. I have owned dogs all my life, and I have never experienced one like this one. In the two months that we have had him, he has managed to roll in his own poop not once, not twice, but THREE times.

The last time was the worse, and the only thing I could find to get the smell out was to use vinegar. I started picking the poop up, but he would still manage to find some that I missed. Now it has come down to us taking him out on a lead, which is going to be a pain this winter.

The dog appears to be dumb, but he is mischievous, and is able to out smart me. When we first brought him home, he managed to open the cupboard door and help him self to the dog treats. We keep our kitchen trash in a lower cupboard, and he managed to open that one too. I had to put child locks on all the cupboards, and several weeks later he figured out how those work, and got into his treats again. (Treats and Trash have now been moved.)

Now he’s just about figured out how the latch works on the gate in the back yard. I caught him jumping up and smacking the latch with his paw. I swear he was watching me go in and out until he figured it out. I put a guard over the latch so he can't hit it now. If he figures the guard out, then I'm going to have to pad lock it. I figure a key lock will be the best, because he will probably be able to figure out the combination!

One thing I know is if he keeps rolling in poop, then I'm going to leave the back gate open for him!
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011