Question about Hodgdon and the 4350 powders

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by howlnmad, Jan 15, 2011.

1. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Since Hodgdon has aquired all these powder companies and says to use the same data for all as the same, does that make the manuals inaccurate or can we just pick any formula and go? I know this sounds stupid but it may get a new loader hurt. The same with the 231/h38. Old powders and their suggestion just don't seem logical. Am I outta whack on this or stick to my data for the IMR-4350 only and desregaurd the other 4350 load data?
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I still use the data listed for the exact label of powder im using, even though I 'hear' some of them are now interchangeable, why risk is when the data is listed right there???
  3. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

I have never heard or read anything from Hodgdon claiming that IMR 4350 and H-4350 are the same. They are not even made in the same country, were did you hear this?????????? I claim BS!!!!!
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I think steve4102 must be right because if you go to Hodgdon's Reloading Center site they show very different data for H4350 than IMR 4350. Obviously these are different powders today.

But if you look at W231 and HP38, the data is exactly the same. I think the equivalency powders are those of Hodgdon's that were originally made for them by Winchester or the old Winchester powder company (under new ownership but the same place). What you have to understand is that Hodgdon NEVER made its own powder. They had different powders made for them all around the world and over time changed supplier of the same powder occasionally. Winchester supplied most of the spherical powders but the rest are from all over the world.

The place a person should be getting reloading data for powders supplied today by Hodgdon is their web site or their current reloading flyer. I would disregard old data.

LDBennett
  5. howlnmad

Steve4102,
    It may verywell be BS. It was brought up on another forum. I didn't think about it until last night while working on some 7 mag rounds. I may have posted prematurely and be assured, I will be calling Hodgdon on this matter.
  6. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Got a link to that forum?

There are few powders out there that carry the same name, 4064, 4350, 4198, 4895,4831 to name a few. Why they did this is anybody's guess. These same name powders are NOT the same and load data is not interchangeable.

There are several powders with different names that are in fact the same powder. 231 and H-38 are indeed the same powder and your call to Hodgdon will confirm this. As stated above, Hodgdon does not manufacture powder, they only package it and distribute it under their name. Many Hodgdon powders are manufactured in Australia by ADI. Here is a list of Hodgdon powders that are the same as ADI powders.
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2008/04/hodgdon-and-adi-powder-equivalents/

Here this little article my help.
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_12_51/ai_n15736803/
  7. howlnmad

Steve,

I wish to thank you and LD for your explanations. I did call Hodgdon and they confirmed your statement. Afterwards I went back looking for that thread. It was an old one that I had just started reading and was pulled away from my computer and never finished. Found it today and if I had just read 1 or 2 more posts, I would have found your same answer. I'm sure you know it was over at TFL. My apologies to you sir and thank you for all you contribute to this fine art.

howlnmad

ps- thanks for the ADI link, may be very useful
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011