Question about Iver Johnson shotgun buttstock

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Snow Dog, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Snow Dog

Snow Dog New Member

Many moons ago I bought an Iver Johnson Hercules 16ga SxS without a buttstock. Some time after that, while poking around at a gun show, I found a buttstock for, as I was told, an IJ Champion single shot. Not what I needed but it has the owl head buttplate and the IJ script end cap so I figured it would be worth grabbing just for those items. Put everything in the safe and promply forgot about it.

Fast forward a few years and I decide to dig it out and get ready for a winter project. Upon closer inspection of the buttstock I see that it is cut straight where the wood and the receiver should meet. All the pictures I've seen of the IJ Champions show this area as being slightly curved. Also, all the pictures I've seen also show a plain buttplate and no grip cap. The buttstock in question has no checkering around the wrist like the SxS's should have and there is quite a bit of wood forward of the wrist area so it must be for a single shot.

Below are some pics of the buttstock in question. Anyone have any idea on what model it is for? Also, anyone know where I can find a correct buttstock for an IJ Hercules grade SxS?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

have you tried to fit it to your hercules grade. not all iver johnson doubles had checkering on the wood. this butt stock looks to me like a double and not a single barrel.

bill
  3. Snow Dog

Snow Dog New Member

That's the conundrum - it looks like a SxS stock but there is no way one would fit with all the wood in the tang area. All that wood would have to be removed in order to fit a SxS receiver.

What other single shot shotguns did IJ make besides the Champion? Perhaps if I can see some pics of other shotguns I could get closer to identifying what I have here.
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

early (1880-1899) they did but this is not one of those stocks. the only thing i can come up wit is a stock for the small frame double 410 bore shotgun. the double 410 bores were all way made on a small frame than the other gauges.

bill
  5. Snow Dog

Snow Dog New Member

What about a trap gun? Did they ever make a purpose built single shot trap gun but on a different frame from a Champion?
  6. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

their single barrel trap gun was made on the champion frame and used the same stock configuration as other single barrels. i will not say they never did any thing but if they did it was never included in their catalogs.

bill
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2009