Question about light shotgun loads

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by RickYoung, Jun 1, 2009.

1. RickYoung

RickYoung New Member

Hello,
    I'm a newbie to shotgun shooting. I won a Stoeger Classic single-shot 12G shotgun. I thought I was just supporting the local highschool shooting club, who knew I'd be lucky too??

Anyway, I want to introduce my wife to shotgun shooting and I need some advice about shotgun loads.

The shotgun is chambered for 3" shells. Any recommendations for light/target loads to start out with?
  2. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

My first suggestion is that you buy a shotshell reloading manual like a Lyman as they also have the process and safety considerations in addition to loads.

I shoot Win 2 3/4" AA's Hulls, Win 209 primer, with 17 gr of Alliant Clay Dot Powder, a WAA12 wad and 1 1/8 Oz of shot. That is my standard skeet load. That load is available on the Alliant web site but I really think a manual is the beginning point. You can reduce recoil by using less lead but that will require a whole new set of components. What do you have for a loader?

If you are looking for just ammo to shoot then look for something that is rated 2 3/4 dram or if you can find it less.
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

factory ammo: remington sts target (gold hulls), also winchester AA reduced recoil (handicap printed on the box)... if you hand load: pretty much any light target data using 1 oz of shot in the 12 ga 2 3/4" data section. My wife is 5' 1" and while she does not preferr the 12 ga due to its weight (she shoots a rem. 870 youth 20 ga.) she can manage quite well 1 oz. target loads in the 12 ga.
  4. RickYoung

RickYoung New Member

Thanks for the info. I've done a lot of reloading for my pistols. Hadn't thought about loading shotgun shells.
  5. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I use the Lee LoadAll to do up brass shells for my 16 Ga. It works very well and is good for a couple of boxes a week or month. If you are going to be using the loader for shooting a few hundred rounds a month, then you will want one of the bigger, faster reloaders.

Pops
  6. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Welcome Rick, and congrats on winning the Stoeger. JLA's suggestions are good ones, but also consider a box of Cowboy Action shot shells to start. They are very light loads and might be just the ticket for training. The perceived recoil on single shot 12 ga guns can be brutal, depending upon the stock configuration. So, try it yourself first - so you don't turn your wife off to shooting.