The Firearms Forum banner

question about optics

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  GunHugger 
#1 ·
I just purchased a NcStar 4x22 colt knock off for my Pac West arms AR. I had a rail mount with a 4x32 on it that worked fine but I wanted to make the foot print of the rifle a bit smaller. This seemed like a good way to go.

I took the gun to the range and at 50 yards I was hitting about where I wanted on a target. Ran it out to 100 yds and it was not on target and hitting high. The first thing is that the adjustments are not clicks, they are just screws that do not click when turned so its difficult to know exactly how much you are adjusting.

After 100 rds I am not hitting well at all. Groups seem to be about 5 to 6 inches or more and do not seem to adjust well. I have read many reviews of this gun and its hard to find a bad one. Did I get a bad one or is there something I am not taking into account? Thanks

#2 ·
Do like I do, zero it at about 10 yards so that the point of impact is about the distance down as the distance between the centerline of the barrle and the scope, then learn how to calculate drop distances.

#3 ·
I just purchased a NcStar 4x22 colt knock off for my Pac West arms AR. I had a rail mount with a 4x32 on it that worked fine but I wanted to make the foot print of the rifle a bit smaller. This seemed like a good way to go.

I took the gun to the range and at 50 yards I was hitting about where I wanted on a target. Ran it out to 100 yds and it was not on target and hitting high. The first thing is that the adjustments are not clicks, they are just screws that do not click when turned so its difficult to know exactly how much you are adjusting.

After 100 rds I am not hitting well at all. Groups seem to be about 5 to 6 inches or more and do not seem to adjust well. I have read many reviews of this gun and its hard to find a bad one. Did I get a bad one or is there something I am not taking into account? Thanks
The first and now the only NcStar (optics) I have delt with, was a reflex sight. Bought it new, brought it home and mounted it on a 22lr and it was broke! I took it back and the guy replaced it and mounted it. Got it dialed in and each time I would get the rifle out, it was off...took it back as well and havent owned anything made by NcStar since. I may have just gotten 2 bad ones? But I'm not going for a 3rd time!

#4 ·
no dale I have had the same problems with NCstars crap. Their rails and their mounts should be sold in the dollar store and IMO are only suitable for dressing up wallhangers and airsoft guns... They are junk for anything else...

#5 ·
I have no experience wit the scope listed.

Quality scopes are expensive, however they are expensive for a reason.

If the companies could make them a bit cheaper and retain their quality, they would do it.

With scopes, you get what you pay for.

Personally, I like the Leupolds and have them on most of my rifles.
Have 1 Burris that is ok (good) and an old Redfield that is good.

I feel that choosing a scope is attached to the price of the rifle. The bottom line is . . . . . you can shoot only as well as you can see.

If you put a $200 scope on a $2,000 rifle, you in effect have reduced the capability of the rifle, IMO.

If you buy a $500 rifle, the actual cost you should be thinking about is more like $800 - $900 (with a scope).

There are some good deals on used scope around, keep an eye out for them. When I see a good deal on a scope, I may buy it, even though I don't have a rifle to put it on. You never know when that situation could change.

As far as the scope and rifle listed. If it is moving point of impact at 100 yards, it should do the same at 50 yards (or a bit closer).

Personally, I would not change any setting on the rifle just yet.

I'd shoot it at about 50 yards and have a look at where it is shooting.

At 50 yards, your target should look like a big ragged hole. If it is still spraying bullets all over the target, I would look at the mounts and rings first (assuming all the action screws are tight). Once you are shooting at least 1/2 " (or better) groups at 50, I'd bump the distance back out to 75 and see how it does. Then to 100. Without adjusting anything when moving the target out from 50. The groups should look pretty similar to the 50 yard group.

It is a process of elimination. It is the rifle, the ammo, the screws, the rings and mounts or the scope.

Might take awhile, but you will be able to narrow it down if you have a plan of attack.

#6 ·
I sent back the cheap NcStar. Bought a Nikon 3-9 and now can hold to 2 inch groups at 100 with out any trouble. The one thing I did have a problem with was the Tul ammo. It was under powered and would not strip off the next round. The winchester did fine. I was told I could put on a lighter spring but since I saw all the sparks come from the Tul and checked and its steel core, I will just pay the extra two bucks and buy PMC or some such ammo.,

#7 ·
NCStar is made for airsoft, do not use that junk on a real AR.

Glad to hear you bought a better scope. It's too bad that you had to learn the hard way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.