Question about original SKS magazines

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by bluesea112, Jun 3, 2012.

1. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Are the original SKS magazines the same for the Chinese and Russian models? I know the Yugo takes a different one, but I'm not sure about the other two i mentioned.

Who manufacturers an original SKS magazine for Chinese and Russian SKS' that won't give me a feeding problem?
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

yes Ive seen them flip flopped. Neither one seems to give any issues.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Charles , back when we had em here we converted the SKS's to take AK mag's as this was way easier and less problematic
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    The original was a 10 round, striper fed mag. There is a duck bill mag that can be used in the SKS, but is slow to change out, but holds 30 rds. And then as Jack said, convert the SKS so it will take the AK mags. I have 4 of the duck bill mags that I have never had an issue with, as well as the original.
  5. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

No one manufactures an original now. There's a cheap made replacement that was being made by Norinco, but you don't want one. You would think they would be a dime a dozen with all the mall ninjas adding on hicap mags. But try to find one that isn't a third the price of what the rifle is worth!
    If you need an original, PM me, I was shopping for one, and ended up with two.
  6. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Thanks for the info everybody. I have more than a few of the removable 30 round magazines for my sks rifles, but NONE of them feeds consistantly well. The biggest problem I have is the cartridge not being high in the chamber, so it gets slammed into the flat surface just below the ramp. When this happens the bullet gets pushed back into the case and the nose gets deformed.
    Trap55, I would love to buy one of those magazines from you. I will PM you.
  7. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Jack, How did you convert the SKS to take AK mags? Did it require any additional parts or milling of the stock? I have several of the aftermarket "duckbill" magazines that Carver mentioned. Is that what you were talking about, or did you convert the SKS to use real AK mags?
  8. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i'd be interested in hearing as well. i have tons of ak mags.. my ruskie sks still have oem mags.. though i do have a 30 bananna and a drum mag for it... just a pain to change...
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

10. soundguy

11. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

hey that link cuts out half the thread , i'll redo it , so recheck it
  12. soundguy

tha makes much more sense :) got em!