Question about pistol bullets

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by mcgreen85, May 24, 2012.

1. mcgreen85

mcgreen85 New Member

Hey guys, I was thinking of reloading my own 40 cal bullets for my pistol. A friend of mine told me to go to a website called powdervalleyinc.com He said I could find reloading materials for pretty cheap there. He said to look for plated bullets. I've never heard of a platted bullet. I mainly just shoot bowling pins with my brother for fun & this guy said they would be perfect for that because they're cheap. So my question is has anyone evere heard of plated bullets ? Any info would be appreciated.

2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

a plated bullet is one where there was a chemical or electro plating used to cover the bullets with copper or other materials rather than a solid metal copper jacket , and yes these are way cheaper than jacketed , but you could cast your own , not jacket them at all and save even more

i use hawsbury river coated bullets with some of my loads but plain cast is what i use most in my .40 S&W Witness
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

4. mcgreen85

mcgreen85 New Member

Thanks Jack, so if I cast my own would they just be solid led. If so I could do that because I just scored about 31 lbs of led for free. I'd say that's pretty cheap indeed.
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

good start indeed

nothing wrong with pure lead

you could add 2% antimony and 2% tin and thats what they call type lead ( the alloy they made lead type faces from )

or just 1% tin if your worried about antimony ( can be nasty stuff)

this will harden the lead up a tad to make it less prone to blast through ( not gripping the lands but being shaved by them as it passes ) but as i never load plinking loads with full charges ( 80% normally) i normally dont worry nowdays ..
  6. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Matt,

Yes plated bullets are common in the reloading world. It is a matter of opinion which to use, typically the price vs very little difference in performance compared to jacketed bullets is appealing for some. In my experience the plated bullet manufacturers have become a bit too proud of their products and their price points have exceeded some jacketed bullet prices. Take a look at www.berrysmfg.com for the plated bullets that your friend recommends and then compare to either of the following jacketed bullet distributors and decide for yourself what works for you...
    www.precisiondelta.com
    www.rozedist.com
  7. mcgreen85

mcgreen85 New Member

Hey thanks for the links man, everyone on here is always so helpful. I'm gonna check into it & go from there.
  8. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Plated bullets used to fill the $$ gap between Jacketed bullets and Lead bullets. They were cheaper than true jacketed, not anymore. In the last couple of years plated bullets have gone way up in price. So much so that they now cost almost if not more $$ than true jacketed bullets.

312shooter posted a couple links to some excellent inexpensive true jacketed bullets. No more high $$ plated bullets for me, it's true jacketed or lead.

Plenty of lead bullet manufacturers to choose from as well. Here are just a few.

http://www.missouribullet.com/

http://www.pennbullets.com/calibers.html

http://www.mastercastbullets.com/

http://www.snscasting.com/