1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

question about point of impact

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by johnlives4christ, Jun 11, 2009.

1. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

okay. let me ask a kinda dumb type question.

okay if i have a gun, lets say a 9mm. and i shoot 115 grain winchester out of it on paper. and it hits say dead center. then i shoot 115 remington ammo out of it. will it still hit where i aim, or will the center of the group move?

i know differant guns prefer differant ammo for accuracy, but would the differant brands change points of impact or would it just change group sizing?

if i switch to 147 grain ammo. would the groups still be centered left to right, but just lower? or would it change completely?

reason i ask is this... i always have sighted my guns in... then stuck with the same ammo that i like, for that particular caliber. up until now when ammo is basically buy what you can when you can. i dont want to waste a mess of ammo to try it all out if anyone has any advice

~john
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Any change in a load component can result in a point of impact change. Different manufacturers use different powders, bullets, etc, too many variables to say that you could consistently get the same general grouping. Even with let's say 10 rounds, all case sized perfectly, charge wts exact, bullets all weighing the same and fired from a bench rest from a standard pistol at 50 feet...... you'll probably still get a round or two that wouldn't be in a tight group. ( my idea of a tight group at 50' bench rested would be under 3") handloading has been the only way i can get consistent repeatable groups, just my .02
  3. Southern Boy

Southern Boy New Member

Yep, tho most manufacturers list thei drop @ yds, for a comparisom. If 1st bullet mfgr. says 0@ 40 yds, another say 0@ 50 hds , then you know if zero'd at 50 yds, bullet nfg. #1 will be a hair low.. When handloading, you change loads untill you get your most accurate groups, then use your drop info to account for different loads. Kind of confusing I guess, It will become second nature after time.Hope this helps.
  4. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

The advice above is sound, and I dont have much to add.

In years gone by I carried a 9mm handgun, it was sighted to place rounds point of aim at 25 yards with 115gn FMJs. The problem was buying local ammo in different places with varied weights, types and makes. I always figured for defence, that is to say dinner plate groups at close range, it wouldn't make much difference. Clearly if your shooting targets, perhaps in competition, knowing where they are going and getting the best possible accuracy is all important.

Incidentally, not a dumb question at all....
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2009
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    As Tranter said if for SD, it don't matter that much since you are shooting CM, a traget about 8" - 10". For target shooting mixing and matching ammo will give you poor results. Every gun has it's favorites, find out which one your gun likes and stick to it if possible. Again, another reason to reload for target practice.
  6. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

thanks for the advice already given. does differant loads normally impact only high or lower or do they impact left and right as well?
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Again, it depends on what your gun likes. It will always shoot one particular rd. (brand)better than almost any other. If you gun does not like the ammo you are feeding it at the time, it may shoot high, or low. It might shoot left or right.

"okay if i have a gun, lets say a 9mm. and i shoot 115 grain winchester out of it on paper. and it hits say dead center. then i shoot 115 remington ammo out of it. will it still hit where i aim, or will the center of the group move"?

If you are shooting Winchester 115 gr., and you are hitting dead center, then stick with it for target shooting, as well as SD. If you can't find Winchester, then shoot what you can find. It might not shoot as well on paper, but will work fine as a SD round. Remember, shooting bulls eyes is not going to much for your SD skills. These will be bettered only with practice drawing, and firing as quickly, and safely as possible, still being able to put your rounds CM.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  8. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

You're going to have to test & confirm with your gun, ammo & your hold. Pistol point of impact is different than rifle point of impact especially regarding bullet weight. While rifles usually throw heavier bullets to a lower point it's common for pistols to throw heavier bullets to a higher point of impact. This is because heavier bullets have longer barrel time & the barrel rotates up noticeably while the bullet is still in the barrel. When a heavier bullet leaves a barrel pointing higher often the impact point is higher than a lighter bullet would have. Even two people with different holds can have different points of impact.