Question about primers

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by DixieLandMan, Nov 4, 2011.

1. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

Is there any difference in primers? I mean, for some of my .30-06 loads they say a Federal 210 primer. I use CCI #200 large rifle primers. For other calibers I load, they suggest different primers too. Are they just advertising a particluar brand over the other or does it really matter what primer you use (not counting magnum primers for non-magnum guns).
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Who are "they"? For some unknown reason, a loading manual put out by Alliant will probably recommend Federal primers (hint: ATK owns both companies).

Gunzine reloading columns will usually recommend the maker who sends them free loading material. Serious experimenters will often find that one brand of primer does give better results with a particular load than another, but with a different load that could be reversed.

In short, it is a crap shoot. There is no reason to stick with a recommended brand of primer, but there is no reason not to, either, at least until you can load enough to judge results for yourself.

Jim
  3. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

Sorry about that. "They' in this case are the ones that put out the Hornady reloading data. Same for other brands of bullets as well. I guess like you said, whoever send them free stuff or pays for advertising is the one usually mentioned in the reloading books.
  4. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    the primer both brand and type is what the original loads in whatever manual was worked up with,using any other may very the velocity and cup pressures.the load generally will use any suitable primer no matter the brand. old semper fi
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Always with powder charges, start low and work up. The specified primer was the one used in working up the load, but pressure and velocity may differ from that given due not only to use of other primers, but to other variables, like case make and loading technique.

Jim
  6. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

As to overall performance you will have to determine the primer your gun likes. Generally the Federal performs hands down better in my rifles for overall accuracy, but I've seen some exceptions. My hunting partner's .270 likes a WW primer. If you have a revolver with a trigger job you might need to use a Federal pistol primer; they seem to be "softer" than others. CCI is usually considered a "harder" primer. I don't use the Russian ones at all.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

As long as you develop your loads properly the primer brand doesnt matter. the primer type and size is whats important. Obviously a small rifle primer shouldnt go in a small pistol case, even though it will fit and fire..
  8. Ace1911

Ace1911 New Member

This has been my experience as well. Handloading is like any other thing in life, it is what you make of it. What I mean is you need to find the right combination of components to a particular load that gives you optimum results with your rifle/handgun. For me, coming to that combination is the rewarding part, and once you find it repetition will hone your results at the range.
  9. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

I've seen a couple of exceptions to this. Loading the Contender with something like the .223, .22 Hornet etc. we see a number of people using a Federal small pistol primer.

A couple of our 10mm shooters use a small rifle primer instead of small pistol to prevent punched primers with hot loads. I've got one guy that does that with .357 magnum too.

These guys are experienced reloaders so they used care in developing the loads for their guns.