Question about RCBS powder chargers

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by WildcatFan, Nov 15, 2009.

1. WildcatFan

WildcatFan New Member

I think I'm going to purchase the RockCrusher model but was wondering if, on the powder charger, it is possible to place the brass at the bottom and release the charge directly or do I have to drop a charge to a plate and then funnel the charge into the brass while the brass is in the cartridge box. I saw a video from RCBS and it showed the dude loading charges via funnel. I saw a video from Hornady and the brass was held underneather the charger and done right there. I sure hope this is possible with the RCBS. Can you confirm it is?
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Are you asking about something like this?
    [​IMG]

or this?
    [​IMG]

If it's the first one - don't know. Never used one. Never even seen one. But if you mean the second kind, then sure. I drop straight into the brass all the time.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

There are many ways to measure the powder charge and get it into the cartridge case. Powder measures have a reverse funnel in the delivery tube and you just push the case mouth up into the funnel, operate the handle and the powder cleanly goes into the case.

The electronic powder delivery machine require the powder to go into the pan then the pan is pored into a funnel that is stuck onto the cartridge case.

The powder measures can be mounted to a die on the press. The press handle raises the cartridge case up into the die, the powder measure handle is then operated and the measured charge is delivered to the cartridge case. Internal funnels make sure all the powder gets into the case.

While the RCBS is a good single stage press, I always urge people new to reloading to consider a turret press rather than a single stage press as their first press (if you reload for any time or any volume at all, you'll eventually get a progressive). Turret presses are about three times faster for reloading than a single stage press. That's because you put the case in the press once and move it along to each station where the next process is done. It is much faster especially for pistol cartridges. But you can also use it as a single stage press as well, like for rifle cartirdges if you so choose. There are several good ones on the market including the Lyman and RCBS models. The only one to avoid is the Lee, as they are not as durable as anybody else's, in my experience (your experience may differ but that's mine).

LDBennett
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

>I always urge people new to reloading to consider a turret press rather than a single stage press as their first press (if you reload for any time or any volume at all, you'll eventually get a progressive).<

I wish people wouldn't make blanket statements, like that. I'll be 54 in a couple of days. Started loading when I was 21. What's that - 33 years? I think that qualifies as "any time". Load for 41 different calibers, all on the same RCBS Rockchucker I started with. Don't know what "any volume" means. I'm not a competitve shooter, that loads 5000 rounds a week, but I load several thousand a year. So far I have not felt the need for a progressive.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Alpo:

You don't know how much time you are wasting by not going progressive, at least on mundane cartridges like pistol cartridges. I value my time, even though I have lots of it since I am retired. I too started reloading in my early 20's. I put it down because it was too time consuming. I picked it up again 25 years ago when progressive presses were common place and I had little free time. I saved up reloading tasks for my off work times at Thanksgiving (one week) and Xmas (two weeks) and loaded thousands and thousands of rounds over multiple days. I did reload in between, but not at those levels, since I shot pistol and rifle at regular intervals. An active shooter NEEDS to reload progressive, if he values his time.

I thought myself to be somewhat unique here in using a progressive press until I noticed many here who do load progressively or have a progressive press on their wish list. I was not alone and many showed a real interest in getting a progressive press. For that reason I think people will eventually migrate to progressives, just like EVERYBODY has mobile phones and computers today. Those who have not used a Dillon, for example, have little understanding of the quality of the ammo produced or the vast amounts of time saved.

Alpo, you may be different, but maybe one day you will see the "light" and go progressive too. Many new reloaders, not influenced by 30 years of reloading on a single stage press, will go progressive, so I think my comment a valid one. It just may not apply to you.

LDBennett