The Firearms Forum banner

Question about refreezing deer meat

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  dbcooper 
#1 ·
So after 13 hours of processing this deer meat at the beginning of December we gave up with 2 shoulders still left to do. We wrapped them up and put them in the freezer. Before they start to freezer burn I want to do something with them. I have been thinking of turning it into burger meat with a 50/50 mix of Deer and Brisket. Now should I thaw both shoulders, process it with the brisket, and refreeze after I seal it with my foodsaver? Or should I pull a leg at a time out and cook it and eat it right then?

#6 ·
Put that shoulder in a "Brown N Bag", add some carrots, taters, onions, and anything else you want in there. Follow instructions on bag package!

#7 ·
It's fine to refreeze meat - as long as you thawed it in the refrigerator.
If that was the case, you can put it right back into the freezer. When you eventually thaw the meat a second time, you may notice a decrease in quality, but it'll certainly be safe to eat, according to the United States Department of Agriculture.

If, on the other hand, you thawed the meat in the microwave or in cold water, the USDA advises that you should cook it immediately before freezing. That's because with either method, the meat could have at least temporarily warmed up to a temperature higher than 40°F. At that point, harmful bacteria can begin to multiply and only further cooking will destroy it; simply refreezing the meat won't do the trick.

Finally, if you thawed the meat on the counter or in hot water, you shouldn't eat it at all. The USDA cautions that it's dangerous to eat any meat or poultry that's been thawed under those two methods, as the outer layer of the food would have been allowed to sit between the bacteria-breeding temperatures of 40° F and 140° F for far too long to be safe.

#8 ·
Yeah, politically correct way to use meat. I wonder what folks did before refrigeration?

#11 ·
While on the subject, my son has begun hanging his deer for a couple weeks (temps just above and below freezing), and tells me it taste better. I've read where they used to hang then until the mold formed. What say you?

Reactions: streetbob
#13 ·
We're getting off topic but the care of meat is interesting stuff. We hang venison for 7 to 10 days at just above freezing. IMHO the most important factors that you can control are temp, contamination, trimming and sealing.

Get it cooled down asap and keep it cold, not cool. Keep the meat and anything that touches it clean. We wash the carcass with salt water as soon as possible after the animal is killed and dressed, then again just before bagging at camp in cloth bags. Cut and package in a clean place using clean surfaces and tools and wash them often. Unsanitary conditions lead to rapid weight loss......

I bone and trim every piece. The strongest, gamiest parts of the animal are white, so I trim all fat and connective tissue before freezing and I never freeze or cook bones or fat with my meat as the marrow and fat are really strong. If it's white I feed it to the dogs... I vacuum seal to prevent burn and drying.

#15 ·
streetbob, for 30 years we have been storing out "grinding " meat from out deer kills by freezing them for about 30 days and after deer season is over, we thaw it out , add pork and make sausage, then refreeze it. It is perfectly safe. Just thaw the meat out in the fridge so that it don't get too warm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.