1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Question about selling a registered gun?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ronnie02, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Ronnie02

Ronnie02 New Member

I could be missing this somewhere online but...

IF I wanted to sell one of my guns that is registered how would I go about that?
  2. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Just find a buyer and take the buyer to a local FFL and have it transfered to the buyer. Both parties must have I.D.
  3. Ronnie02

Ronnie02 New Member

Thanks for the info JK.
  4. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

No problem ....It may be different depending on where you are from. I dont know many laws in other states. Thats all you have to do here in PA.
  5. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Find a buyer, get the money, give him the firearm.

Depending on what you are looking to do of course, what state you live in, and what kind of firearm it is.

Some states/firearms you have to go through a FFL. If you are looking to have it UN-registered to you (as in, it never was) it will not happen. You will ALWAYS be a registered owner of that firearm. By transferring it through an FFL, it will then be registered AGAIN to the new buyer. Thus leaving a paper trail the BATF can follow, showing that you no longer own it.
  6. Ronnie02

Ronnie02 New Member

Im from South Carolina. Its a 32

Thanks
  7. Ronnie02

Ronnie02 New Member

Another question may sound dumb but.....I have a few guns this one is really the only one I purchased from a dealer.

I purchased this gun at a pawn shop, they made me do the back ground check..does that mean its registered in my name?
  8. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

yes Ronnie it is. anytime a dealer (pawn shops are dealers also) do a background check the make, model, and ser# are included info required.
  9. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

It depends on your State laws and the state laws of the person you are selling it to.If you sold it to a person in NY you would have to go through a FFL to a FFL.
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Lemme see now. Far as I can tell, South Carolina does not have gun registration. Therefore that gun is not "registered" to you.

There is a difference between "registration" and the 4473, which is what you filled out at the pawn shop.

Unless South Carolina has a law that says you HAVE to buy from an FFL, all you have to do is give the guy the gun and take his money. California has a law that says all sales must go through an FFL. Most states, however, don't. My quick search did not turn up whether or not South Carolina requires it.
  11. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

If you are selling across state lines - that is, if the buyer is not a South Carolina resident, then you must go through an FFL.
  12. Ronnie02

Ronnie02 New Member

Thanks for the help!
  13. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Ronnie02, Alpo is right. There's no such thing as "registration" in South Carolina. Usually, that process is deferred to the more anti-gun leaning states of the Northeast and West Coast. The paperwork that you do when you buy the gun here is simply to process your background check. There is no registration system here in this state. I understand that the term "registration" is loosely thrown around on TV and it provides a lot of confusion for people who live in states with no registration system.

So, if you want to sell a gun to a person within this state you find a buyer and exchange cash for the gun. I don't sell my guns but if I did I'd prefer dealing with someone that I know isn't a felon. Across, state lines?... Yes, Alpo is absolutely correct in that a dealer must be involved.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  14. hunter29180

Guys, hate to bust a bubble but when the background check is done in SC a record is kept by the dealer. if that weapon is used in a crime it can be traced through either the serial # or sometimes from tha baliatics marks on it through the manufacturer. it traces it back to the dealer. and if ever a Leo or wildlife officer checks the ser# it will be forever more in the states (and avail to the Feds) computer, so SC does have a "registration" of sorts, and the Feds keep a list of the ser# contained in the background check also.

this info from a retired EC Leo friend.
  15. hunter29180

Ronnie..in SC as long as the sale is face to face and the person is known to you not to be a felon and in the state of SC. the state really dont care. this applies only to SC though. I have bought and traded guns at flea markets with people from out of state (bought only or traded) with my Leo friend many times. course he did me the favor of having the ser# checked before the transaction was done though. I have no desire to buy a gun used in a crime and be caught with it!

this may have been a exception though as i havent did that for about 10 years though! chesk with a friendly Leo before you accept my word though. i was well known to the local Leos at that time!