Question About Shipping Firearms

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by hogger129, May 3, 2012.

1. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Yeah. Individuals. That's "normal people". Cops call 'em "civilians". The ATF calls 'em "Non-Licensees".

An FFL is not an individual. It's a business.
  2. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Here is part of the email I received from Ruger.

We recommend that you send your entire firearm into our Product Service Dept for evaluation. Ship to: S & R 411 Sunapee St. Newport, NH 03773. Put a letter inside with your firearm stating the issue. Include a daytime phone number, return UPS address, and mailing address. Also a email address or fax number if available.

Pack in a plain brown box. Do not send the original Ruger box. Handguns can not be mailed. They have to be sent through a firearms dealer or FED EX.

This is what I based my post on. I was aware a FFL can mail but we can't. I don't understand why we can't mail them.
  3. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Got it worked out thanks guys
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

>This is what I based my post on. I was aware a FFL can mail but we can't. I don't understand why we can't mail them.<

Same reason as, that for 18 years, whenever we bought ammo we had to sign the book.

Because those fecal-cephalitic morons in Congress decided it was a good idea.
  5. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

From what the people at the gun range/store I shoot at told me (those guys are mostly off-duty cops that run the range and the owner is a retired cop), i can mail to an ffl as a non-licensee, but the ffl has to send the firearm back through an ffl and i have to do the 4473 and wait two days for my handgun. i guess i don't really understand why that's necessary since the firearm isn't changing ownership, but hey the law is the law and they've done this before so i'm gonna trust them. there could be different laws for handguns than long guns too.

plus i have to mail through a private carrier such as UPS or Fed-Ex. an FFL can ship through the USPS or a private carrier. at least that's what i thought.

i wonder how hard it is to go apply for an FFL. my second cousin had one back in the 1980s, but i think the standards for getting one were different back then. and i think his was for C&R cause i know he had an antique Thompson SMG. maybe somebody could post a link explaining the process.
    Last edited: May 5, 2012
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Back in the 80's it was easier to get a FFL than it is now. I had one for several years but when they wanted me to prove that the gun business was my main source of income, I had to drop it. I have a C&R now, but it does not do anything to help you get modern weapons, only Curios and Relics.