Question about Sweet 22 scopes

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by clamman, Nov 26, 2012.

1. clamman

clamman Member

You can get one on Amazon for $99, then I see them at SWFA for $39, and then Dick's for $69. Why the big difference in prices?
  2. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I know you didn't ask, but if I was going to spend that much on .22 scope I'd go with the Simmons 3-9X32 .22 Mag. Scope with A.O.. They're usually around $49-$65 depending on finish. I've got several of them on my .22 rifles and they are flawless. The .22 Sweet Scopes are somewhat sketchy from what I've heard.

As far as your question, Amazon may have shipping included where the SWFA scope doesn't, or the Spec's on the two scopes are not the same. Sometimes the finish is different, or one scope has A.O. and the other doesn't. It also may be that one package has a different accessorie package like rings & scope covers than the other. Shopping around and carefully comparing everything definitely pays. Both are reputable vendors though.
  3. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Those BSA "Sweet 22" scopes are a joke.

Think about it...

How could it work with all the different ammo and barrel lengths possible.

So you end up using it as a conventional scope ie zero it and shoot it. Why pay for extras that don't work as advertized.

I owned one and a few friends had one when they first came out. None of us still own one.
  4. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Well everybody has different experiences but I have a BSA Sweet 22 on a Ruger 10/22 that I have been using for about three years and it is working fine. I no longer switch the turrets around because I have settled on one brand of ammo (Wolf Match Target 40gr) that is giving good results. I find the ability to move the elevation turret back and forth between 50, 75 and 100 yards is working as it is supposed to. I purchased this one from Natchez Shooters Supply for around $50. Optics Planet is also a good place to check for prices. There are still the old style (like mine) with the AO on the front available for less money than the new model which has the AO on a third turret. The old/new style may explain some of the price differences you are seeing. They aren't a Leupold that is for sure but for the price I am quiet pleased with mine.

Attached Files:

5. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

nice shootin Todd i like the sweet also
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I don't have a sweet 22, I have a BSA Classic on my 10/22. I do have two sweet 17 scopes, one on the .17HMR and one on the .17 Mach 2 and I really like both of them. I also have a Sweet .223 on my Weatherby Vanguard .223 rifle. The only "problem" I have with that one is that I only shoot 40 grain bullets through it and the three turrets that come with it are for 50, 55, and 62 grain bullets. I just put the 50 grain turret on it and haven't shot with it since I put it on. I happen to like all of the "Sweet" rifle scopes.

To attempt to answer your question on the different prices for the scopes. When I bought the .17s, there was a difference in the variable scope where there was one that was like 3-9 variable and one that was 6.5-14 variable. The prices were different on those two and that may be what you are seeing with the difference. Double check the information on the scope. If all of the scope you are looking at are the same, then I don't have a clue why the price difference. You might also check prices at eBay.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  7. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

I think Todd hit the nail on the head here. I got the old style Sweet .22 made by Optics. They say they are fasing it out. It came from Optics Planet, but I actually ordered it from them through Amazon, because it was $10 cheaper, then going direct to Optics Planet. Go figure?
  8. da357mag

da357mag New Member

One thing about .22s and scopes, you almost need a scope with a AO, the difference in shooting range makes it hard to use a non AO scope. That said the sweet .22 scopes may be set for 50 yards so you might get away without the AO feature. Just a thought! :) Best...Doug