Question about traveling with v. shipping firearms

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dphsfo, Dec 28, 2009.

1. dphsfo

dphsfo New Member

I moved from texas to ca about a year and a half ago, and at the time i did not bring my rifles out to CA. My parents are coming out to visit this week, and they don't want to bring my rifles with them as they dont want to deal with checking them in at the ticket counter. i dont want to deal with having them shipped to a FFL. I am trying to determine the easiest way to get my rifles.

My question is this:
    1- given the events of the last couple of days, is it any more difficult than usual to travel with firearms? my understanding for long guns is that they need to be empty of ammo and in a locked hard case, and that there is a possibility that the case will be inspected before being checked. after that, it is treated like normal luggage.

2- if they dont want to travel with the rifles, is there any way my parents can ship me my rifles, w/o having to use an FFL? my understanding is that the only way i could do this would be I would have to physically drop the firearms off at a UPS store, and ship them to myself, which of course I can't do since I am in CA and my rifles are in TX.

3- another option would be my parents could ship the rifles to themselves, via "in care of" the hotel they are staying at. my understanding is that it can be shipped there, but given they will be here thursday, and its a holiday friday, and they leave sunday, they may not be here when the rifles arrive.

anyone have experience with any of these methods? which would be the easiest way to get my rifles out to me?
  2. cakes

cakes New Member

I have never had a problem checking in guns as baggage. I haven't heard of any new restrictions, and don't expect any. As far as shipping them goes, I am not familiar with CA state law, and assume they have a silly law that says you can't receive them in the mail. An FFL might be your best bet to make sure everything is within the letter of the law.
  3. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I think the safest way of shipping firearms is going to be through FFL. There will be a great deal of hassle at the airport, and a number of inspections--it is not normal luggage.
  4. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

You can ship a firearm to yourself without an FFL. After trying to figure out how to legally get a handgun for RVing in AK I came across the provision that allows you ship it to yourself. Only you can open the package. At this point the best alternative seems to be an FFL or a road trip to Texas.
  5. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

The Safest would be to go get them yourself, I know you can check them in at teh airport, but if I remember rightly for some reason it seems that only next to laptops they are the most stolen items in airports. I shudder when I think about shipping any weapon, knife to rifle................
  6. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

do you have to register long guns in CA?If no then noone will be the wiser if it was shipped right to your home.
  7. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991.php

This will clear up any questions about whether RIFLES will need to be registered or not. I think with the other questions you have, it would be easier to contact UPS and see what they have to say about it. Since they deal with it all the time, they will know the answer to your questions.
  8. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Everyone who intends to send these items 'under the radar' - please forward your new e-mail address, so that those of us on the 'outside' can keep in touch! LOL!
  9. cakes

cakes New Member

Yup.
  10. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

HUH?If he already owns the guns and follows the shipping companies' guidlines he is just fine.
  11. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Well, everybody knows you can't just toss a gun in the UPS drop box.
  12. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

You wouldn't believe what Taurus and Fed-ex did to me.I live in MI where you cannot so much as possess a pistol not registered to yourself-and they sent me a replacement pistol right to my house!So I had to call the cops and tell them I got this gun-and then I had to write down the serial numbers and go register it to me without touching the gun at all,it had to stay in my house until it was straightened out.FEDEX!TAURUS!TRYING TO FRAME ME!
  13. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I can't believe that, ninja. Must have been a rookie new-hire working at Taurus that day, it's just weird. Of all places, the firearms manufacturers should know how things work....
  14. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

The lady at the sherrif's office was really nice.When I told her I had the gun,she was like "oh nice"in a sarcastic tone.She felt that because handguns don't need to be registered where Taurus is based in FL,that they just sent it without thinking twice.She told me to write"out of state" where the "sellers" signature is supposed to go.I did that and no one questioned me about it.
  15. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

http://www.fega.com/members/batf.html

SHIPPING FIREARMS

You may ship firearms through the U. S. Postal Service. Federal firearm licensees may deposit an unloaded firearm in the mails for conveyance to any officer, employee, agent, or watchman who is eligible under 18 U. S. C. 1715 to receive pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person for use in connection with his or her official duties.

However, any person proposing to mail a handgun must file with the postmaster, at the time of mailing, an affidavit signed by the addressee stating that the addressee is qualified to receive the firearm, and the affidavit must bear a certificate stating that the firearm is for the official use of the addressee. See the current Postal Manual for details. The Postal Service recommends that all firearms be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state.

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922(a)(2)(A) and 922(e), 27 CFR 178.31]

A nonlicensee may ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.
    A signature is required each time a firearm is delivered by a shipper, or common or contract carrier to verify the acknowledgment of the receipt of the firearm. A signature of the FFL maintained on file by the shipper is not an acceptable alternative.