Question about using a .380 as a trail gun

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Mosin_Nagant_Fan, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Most all of you know I own a FEG AP9 (alloy frame) in .380. I'm gonna try and hike this summer (getting planes on equipment, but that's a separate issue) and am wondering if a Walther PPK/S would feel any different then a AP9 when using a 102grain 380 round. I'm not sure if the PPK/S is alloy framed or not; from sellers sites they do not specify if they are or aren't.

I realize a .380 isn't the best round for hiking but I like they recoil (with the 95grain ammo) and my follow-up shots are pretty consistent with the first round.

I'm asking this because of the heavier round might be a bit much with the alloy ammo.
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I dunno about the alloy frame issue. The PPK/S is steel frame to my knowledge.
    I assume you're talking about the Golden Saber 102gr HP? Or ???
    The Rem GS load should be just fine out of your AP9.
    I would shy away from any of the +P 380 loads though...not sure if there are any loaded with the Rem GS bullet.

Are you thinking small game or defense against two-legged critters? (or both?)
    I still drag my .380 Mak around as my primary fishing buddy, and it's loaded with either 95gr or 100gr cast bullets. Both weights are great on bunnies, skunk, racoon, etc...hard-hitting but doesn't ruin too much meat if you're planning supper. And they're more accurate than jacketed loads out of my pistol. YMMV.
    There are a couple companies out there loading the 115gr LRN in the 380 too. I've tried 115s in mine but didn't find the accuracy I was looking for. Might be worth a try.
  3. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

More or less both (and snakes). I think it's the Golden Saber, I know it's made by Remington. Thanks for the feedback, I just wasn't sure if the frame could take the stress since it was made with 95grain in mind.
  4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I never did try the 102gr GS load. The 95gr SXT would also be a good performer, so would Hornady's 90gr XTP.

Just for giggles, I would try to round up some lead ammo for it though too. I was surprised at how accurate they are out of my Mak compared to jacketed bullets. (3-4" at 15yds for jacketed, but I can get down under 2" with lead). MIght help if you're dealing with those little targets.