1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Question about using a .380 as a trail gun

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Mosin_Nagant_Fan, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Most all of you know I own a FEG AP9 (alloy frame) in .380. I'm gonna try and hike this summer (getting planes on equipment, but that's a separate issue) and am wondering if a Walther PPK/S would feel any different then a AP9 when using a 102grain 380 round. I'm not sure if the PPK/S is alloy framed or not; from sellers sites they do not specify if they are or aren't.

I realize a .380 isn't the best round for hiking but I like they recoil (with the 95grain ammo) and my follow-up shots are pretty consistent with the first round.

I'm asking this because of the heavier round might be a bit much with the alloy ammo.
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I dunno about the alloy frame issue. The PPK/S is steel frame to my knowledge.
    I assume you're talking about the Golden Saber 102gr HP? Or ???
    The Rem GS load should be just fine out of your AP9.
    I would shy away from any of the +P 380 loads though...not sure if there are any loaded with the Rem GS bullet.

Are you thinking small game or defense against two-legged critters? (or both?)
    I still drag my .380 Mak around as my primary fishing buddy, and it's loaded with either 95gr or 100gr cast bullets. Both weights are great on bunnies, skunk, racoon, etc...hard-hitting but doesn't ruin too much meat if you're planning supper. And they're more accurate than jacketed loads out of my pistol. YMMV.
    There are a couple companies out there loading the 115gr LRN in the 380 too. I've tried 115s in mine but didn't find the accuracy I was looking for. Might be worth a try.
  3. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

More or less both (and snakes). I think it's the Golden Saber, I know it's made by Remington. Thanks for the feedback, I just wasn't sure if the frame could take the stress since it was made with 95grain in mind.
  4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I never did try the 102gr GS load. The 95gr SXT would also be a good performer, so would Hornady's 90gr XTP.

Just for giggles, I would try to round up some lead ammo for it though too. I was surprised at how accurate they are out of my Mak compared to jacketed bullets. (3-4" at 15yds for jacketed, but I can get down under 2" with lead). MIght help if you're dealing with those little targets.