The Firearms Forum banner

Question about warning on Springfield XD & XDm pistols

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  wpshooter 
#1 ·
There is a specific warning in the owner's manuals of both Springfield XD & XDm pistols stating that round(s) should NOT be loaded / inserted directly into the chamber but should instead be chambered by racking the round(s) from the magazine. It goes on to say that inserting the round(s) directly into the chamber can cause damaged to the extractor of the pistols.

My question is why would loading the round(s) directly into the chamber cause the extractor to be damaged on the Springfields and are there any other firearms where this procedure for loading the round(s) into the gun only from the magazine should be observed ?

I have never seen this warning on any other firearms that I am familar with and have in the past loaded round(s) directly into the chamber of other firearms like when I am hunting, so that I am 100% sure that there is a round in the chamber for instance when that big buck decides to show up.

Thanks.

#2 ·
#3 ·
It's bad practice on a semi auto. especially a 1911. The slide moves faster when slamming forward without having to strip the round from the mag. The extractor slides over the rim on the ammo. Without the mag, it just doesn't have time. It will break the extractor. Maybe the extractor isn't adjusted properly as in too tight.
Now, if you feel like you absolutely need to put a round in the chamber without the mag, chamber the round and gently lower the slide then gently push the slide closed with your thumbs.
And good luck.

#4 ·
Good advice Sam, but do you recall a recall on the XD's, and XDM's?

#5 ·
I don't think there is a recall notice on the XD, or the XDM pistols. There is a recall on the XDs, but it's not for what you state. It's because of the safety grip, and the posibility that the gun could go full auto for a few rounds. http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/general-sa-xd-xd-m-talk/70035-xd-recall.html
Thanks but my question did not have anything to do with a recall or defect. What I described is apparently (tell me if I am wrong) caused by the way that the pistol is designed.

Just wondering if that design feature may apply to other firearms and possibly why Springfield decided to design these pistols this way.

Thanks.

#6 ·
Thanks but my question did not have anything to do with a recall or defect. What I described is apparently (tell me if I am wrong) caused by the way that the pistol is designed.

Just wondering if that design feature may apply to other firearms and possibly why Springfield decided to design these pistols this way.

Thanks.
I went back and read your original post, and you are correct! I don't know where my head was, probably in some dark stinky place!:eek:

#7 ·
My son used to let the slide go on his pistols after cleaning or whatever. He did this in front of a good gunsmith we know and the gun smith said never to do this without a loaded mag as it could damage the slide. Pretty much like Sam said. They are designed to pull a round from the mag when going forward.

#9 ·
My son used to let the slide go on his pistols after cleaning or whatever. He did this in front of a good gunsmith we know and the gun smith said never to do this without a loaded mag as it could damage the slide. Pretty much like Sam said. They are designed to pull a round from the mag when going forward.
Would you say that this applies to any/all semi auto pistols including rimfires or does it only apply to centerfire pistols ?

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.