question about wear of the barrel

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by hockey1, Mar 16, 2006.

1. hockey1

hockey1 New Member

I just bought a springfield 1911 model PX9151L, I just took it to the range and got about 50 rounds through it and it shot well. Now I am able to see wear on the top side of the barrel. It looks as though someone took 800 grit sandpaper and scuffed the polished metal off the barrel. Any help would be appreciated thanks
    Hockey1
  2. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

I can't see how the wear would show that quickly. Possibly the gun is loose; on a new gun I have this in doubt. Maybe the front sight stake. Your just going to have to strip it and look at ever nook to see why it is that rapid. If the barrel is chromed it could be heat transfer. Really a lot of grey out there when a guy can't do a traditional "laying on of hands" to heal your gun.
  3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

This is normal on a .45. Nothing to worry about. Just make sure that the pistol is lightly oiled and all will be well. You will not find a single .45 without this due to how the gun functions.
  4. hockey1

hockey1 New Member

Sounds good, thank you. This is my first pistol and I just didn't know what to expect. thanks again
    Hockey1
  5. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

For some reason I was thinking 80 grit instead of 800. Strike the previous statement. Also keep me away from the liquer cabinet when I am thinking. That little rubbing routine is absolutely normal just like Plano said. Pardon my lack of sobriety.
  6. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi hockey1.....welcome to TFF! :)

Yep, Tex is right, as usual. This is normal on a new 1911. The gun is just wearing itself in.

The only place wear is a problem on the outside of a barrel is at the muzzle where it interfaces with the barrel bushing......or serious wear on the locking lugs.