question concerning cleaning by dies?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by ryan42, Mar 7, 2012.

1. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I think Ive read some posts on here about cleaning your dies with brake cleaner.Did I read it right?
  2. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Is this the thread? http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=99686&highlight=cleaning dies .

This thread talks about dies for full sizing .223 cases. The lube builds up in the full size die. For neck sizing you don't need lube, so don't need to clean the die, or don't need to clean it very often.

I don't believe I've cleaned my pistol caliber dies and have reloaded well over 1000 rounds over the last couple of years. (I'm not as high a volume shooter as some on this forum.)

Someone else with more reloading experience and higher volumes may have better advice.
  3. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Be careful. I did that and stuck a case in my die.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I clean mine with rem oil and a shop rag after every loading session.
  5. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Im only loading 45 acp rounds when I first started reloading I was using lube but my gunshop told me I didnt have to with my carbide dies,I just had some lube built up on them from before and I wanted to make sure and know how to do it properly.Thanks everyone.
  6. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I pull mine apart and use brake cleaner and a round brush all the time. Like JLA, I lube them with Rem Oil. Been thinking about getting some SBGO to use.
  7. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Lubing pistol brass doesn't need to be done with carbide dies. But it will not hurt anything. I just make sure I use clean brass when I load.