1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Question - Early Model 60 Marlin

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Contenderizer, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

I just acquired an early, Model 60 Marlin (marked as a Glenfield) serial 243379XX, which is in like-new condition.

I was surprised when firing same it does not seem to have automatic bolt hold-open after the last shot is fired. I thought all Model 60's had that feature, but, perhaps that was not the case with these older Glenfields. Can anyone shed light on this?
  2. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

The Model 60 has a manual bolt hold-open, activated by pushing the charging handle inward towards the gun when it is in the fully-retracted, open breech position. To close the bolt with the manual bolt hold-open engaged, the charging handle must be pulled out, away from to the gun, before the bolt will go forward. Since 1985, the Model 60 has also included a patented automatic "last-shot" bolt hold-open. This latter feature is a safety feature that locks the bolt half-way open after the last 22 LR cartridge is fired, thereby allowing the safe inspection of the now-open action.
    Yours was mfg in 1976
  3. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Thanks 22WRF. Since my posting I downloaded an owners manual from Marlin's website and quickly discovered that my gun does not have last-shot hold-open. This was easy to assertain as the gun does not have the bolt release lever at the front of the trigger guard (duh!).

I was not aware of the manual bolt hold-open feature, or the production date, and I greatly appreciate that info.

Is serial number/date of production info available on the web?
  4. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member