Question - Early Model 60 Marlin

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Contenderizer, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

I just acquired an early, Model 60 Marlin (marked as a Glenfield) serial 243379XX, which is in like-new condition.

I was surprised when firing same it does not seem to have automatic bolt hold-open after the last shot is fired. I thought all Model 60's had that feature, but, perhaps that was not the case with these older Glenfields. Can anyone shed light on this?
  2. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

The Model 60 has a manual bolt hold-open, activated by pushing the charging handle inward towards the gun when it is in the fully-retracted, open breech position. To close the bolt with the manual bolt hold-open engaged, the charging handle must be pulled out, away from to the gun, before the bolt will go forward. Since 1985, the Model 60 has also included a patented automatic "last-shot" bolt hold-open. This latter feature is a safety feature that locks the bolt half-way open after the last 22 LR cartridge is fired, thereby allowing the safe inspection of the now-open action.
    Yours was mfg in 1976
  3. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Thanks 22WRF. Since my posting I downloaded an owners manual from Marlin's website and quickly discovered that my gun does not have last-shot hold-open. This was easy to assertain as the gun does not have the bolt release lever at the front of the trigger guard (duh!).

I was not aware of the manual bolt hold-open feature, or the production date, and I greatly appreciate that info.

Is serial number/date of production info available on the web?
  4. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member