Question for all you smart guys...

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by ryan_marine, Sep 23, 2006.

1. ryan_marine

ryan_marine New Member

I call it the drum... what the nipple screws in to... The piece between the barrel and the nipple... This is on a traditional muzzel loader.... Should it be tight to the barrel? I think that it should but my buddy and I were told it did not have to be... I think that it should be and also lined up with the hammer... Is some one blowing smoke up my rear or it is just a hold in my britches???

Thanks

Ray
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2006
  2. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

goes in tight but you may have to back off enough to line up so the hammer
    strikes square on the nipple this is usally not more than a 1/4 turn
  3. ryan_marine

ryan_marine New Member

This guy was saying as long at it made 2 complete turns after starting then line it up...

Ray
  4. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

What ever makes him happy I guess:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    I've got mine in then they stay lined up:D
  5. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I'm not really a percussion rifle guy, I'm more into flint and steel, and the only one I built with my son had the drum already attached.....BUT...

Dixie recommends "venting" the drum, usually by drilling a small relief hole (you'd have to read what they say, I'd have to look it up, I DIDN'T do it to my son's and it works fine, plus I've never had it off yet....)

...BUT maybe if it's not "tight" it's the same as venting???? Just a WAG....