Question for any long range shooters...

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by Bo-Bo, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Bo-Bo

Bo-Bo New Member

a friend of mine wants to start shooting paper out past 500 yards. He has his heart set on a 300WM. He wants to shoot a Remington that way if it needs to be worked on, he can find someone to do it....

Here is the main question: would he be better off buying a Sendero, a PSS, or go ahead and track down a 40x? I understand that there is very little difference between a Sendero and PSS. But how close are they to what a 40-X can do?
  2. bobski

bobski Former Guest

so many things must work hand in hand to make a 500 yd shot work. 300win mag is a good choice just because of its design.
    but things like bedding, bbl harmonics, action, and trigger all play an important role. whatever he gets, it really needs to be smithed to shoot 500 yds.
  3. Bo-Bo

Bo-Bo New Member

so be better off by going with the cheapest and send it off to a 'smith? I was under the impression that the 40X came from the custom shop set up that way......
  4. bobski

bobski Former Guest

even expensive guns will still need tuning.
  5. Sherrer1*

Sherrer1* Member

Aslo believe it or not but learn how to control your breathing and proper trigger squeeze.
  6. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

The trigger should break between heart beats.
  7. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

No question, go with the 40X. Single shot, stiffer action, better trigger and more weight, to absorb the recoil. NRA matches shot with such rifles are for 80 shots in a couple of hours time. Recoil is an issue, and the 40X is designed by it's weight and stock to make that more comfortable....

Not many used ones around as not many were made in 300WM...

Remington Custom shop 40X = $,$$$.$$

But if he is serious and has the chips, It would be the best.

JMHO, Kirk
    Last edited: May 31, 2012
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

before going "big " here i normally start folks on a enfield rifle , if they cant learn on that theres little a $4000 rifle will do
  9. RYANINMICHIGAN

RYANINMICHIGAN New Member

My savage 22 50 shoots over 500 yards out of the box. No smithing
  10. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

It all depends on what he wants to do what his skill level is and how much is too much?

Just about any factory varmint rifle will shoot decent groups at 500 yards. I shoot ground hogs out to 450 with my AR and my VLS both in 223 never had one run off yet.

I would get a savage model 12 f/tr in 308. Put a good $500 scope on it and go to town. 308s shoot good with a bunch of bullet weights and powders.

Shoot I know plenty of guys that are shooting 6mm br and dashes out to 1200 yards and getting extreme accuracy out of them.

If you are going to rework a factory action then you would be better off starting with a custom action like Kelbly's 700 clone or stillers 700 clone.
  11. sub-moa

sub-moa Member

I own a Rem 700 Sendero in .300wm and I love it. My son and I have always enjoyed target shooting at distances of 200-300 meters and have used the Remington 700 in both .308 and .270 calibers as wel as a 7.62x54R Dragunov. So when I ran across this .300wm I jumped on it. I can’t imagine your friend needing a better (more expensive) rifle than the Sendero for a long time. My advice would be to spend the money between the cost of a Sendero and the 40x on good optics and hand loaded ammunition.Both of these will really pay off in fun. I am now using a Leupold Mark 4 LR/T with illuminated Mil Dot reticle and Hornady165 gr BTSP amunition from their custom shop (cost now is about 2.30 per shot). We are looking at reloading!
    Also I would buy a 10” cast iron skillet and hang it on a sawhorse about 600 meters and make it ring. Ha ! Have fun !
  12. sub-moa

sub-moa Member

All of these replies are true, I guess it just comes down to dollars and cents. Just be glad you can still do it legally.:patriotic:
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  13. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

Shooting or Hitting?? Sorry had to ask LOL
  14. Airdale

Airdale Member

7mm Rem Mag is an oft overlooked long range caliber that would have no trouble getting 500yds. Mine is built off a Stevens 200 action with a Criterion barrel. Go Stevens/Savage and you can smith it yourself. Find a stock with an aluminum bedding block and you're good to go. Then your friend will have something a little different that will shoot just as well and prolly cost a lot less.

If he has to have a 300WM he can still do it off a Savage/Stevens action.
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Ill also second a Savage action. They are easy to tune and really dont need a gunsmith. just $100 worth of tools. Action wrench, vice, barrel nut wrench, and a headspace gauge. Id also recommend a .308 too. Itll shoot 1000 yds easy enough and if hes just shooting paper a .308 makes the same size hole a .300WM does, and uses half the powder to do it.