Question For Computer People

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hogger129, Nov 19, 2012.

1. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I'm writing a report for school about VPNs and I am trying to make some type of a graphic, or table, that I can refer to in my report. I keep drawing a blank about what kind of graphic I should use. I was thinking of making a table comparing some features of the different ones, but not sure how I'd go about setting it up. Not asking anybody to do my homework, just asking if someone can give me some suggestions. Thanks.
  2. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

VPN as in Virtual Private Network.

Think of it as a pipe The internet is a big huge pipe with many lanes in that pipe. What you do with a VPN is you make a hole in between the lanes and you sort of cloak it so no one out side of the connection can see it.
  3. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I'm trying to come up with an idea for some kind of comparative chart or illustration that I can use in a report.
  4. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Like a tube inside a water main or in an oil pipeline that separates the material flowing inside the tube completely from the material flowing through the rest of the pipeline.--Illustration idea.

Is there any comparison of speeds between VPN and "normal" networking? Does the VPN slow data transmission? Is there a limit to the amount of data you can transmit over a VPN? Or is it just a function of the general internet network speed? Those might be chart possibilities.
  5. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

Something that has not been mentioned yet, VPN is a secure way to access your companies private/secure network, servers etc., I have been telecommuting for the last 12 years, and can do it from anywhere, just take my IP phone, plug it in to an internet connection/router, and plug in my laptop(if wireless is not present)it will find and register with the company's PBX, via the internet, my calls to my phone will be routed to me, wherever I am, if I need to access the companies "private network", I log in through VPN, otherwise I use non VPN internet access for normal work activity, or if I don't want my internet activity monitored, it can be monitored while on the company's VPN, but if I'm not logged in on VPN, I'm on my own/home network/internet access,

Hope that helps, and not confuse,

EDIT:

cpttango kind of touched on the secure aspect, I just elvorated a little bit on it,
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  6. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

I see no difference in speed of the actual connection, however, it depends on what you are trying to access, say an internal/private server, it can be signifigantly slower to get at the info you are after, but that depends on the company's internal equipment,
  7. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave Member

There are VPNs that are external, and VPN software that is internal. Some systems self-generate the VPN code with a password, and others use external VPN code numbers you enter. Suggest showing the varying types on one end, and a decrypter at the other end allowing you access to the server.
  8. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

I'd use a table listing all the features down the side, the different types across the top, and put check marks in the boxes for each feature that applies to that type. Much like the free version of software versus the paid version. You could also add a second column under each for downfalls of each such as slower speed, etc., if there are any.