Question for Crpdeth . . .

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by Pistolenschutze, Jun 20, 2009.

1. . . . on Chiltepin peppers. I read that these grow wild in Texas and are one of the hottest peppers available, right up there with scotch bonnets and habaneros. Have you tried these? The reason I ask is that the plants are available from the local garden store and I was thinking about planting one just for the hell of it, or maybe that should be "just for the hot of it." ;)
  2. 45nut

45nut New Member

Chili pequin peppers? These are hot and go a long way. I don't know if we are talking about the same pepper though.

Chiltepins are extremely hot, measuring between 50,000 and 100,000 Scoville Units. In Mexico, the heat of the Chiltepin is called arrebatado ("rapid" or "violent"), because, while the heat is intense, it is not very enduring. This stands in contrast to the Chili Piquin, which is somewhat similar in size and shape to the Chiltepin, but delivers a decidedly different experience. Piquins are not as hot as Chiltepins (only about 30,000-50,000 Scoville Units[3]), but they have a much slower and longer-lasting effect.

I was wrong Pistol. Different pepper, but I have had some that were dried and they were smoking hot.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  3. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Hmmmm... I've never even heard of them! This is news to me, I am, as you know, outdoors a lot and have never seen a wild pepper in my life.

I'll have to do some research here. :D

Crpdeth
  4. I'm surprised you haven't seen them, Donny. According to my research, they grow wild all over the Southwest and in Mexico. Supposedly, the Chiltepin is considered by botanists to be the "mother of all chili peppers," i.e., the variety from which all of the other capsicum annum peppers were derived.

Hey, if I do plant a couple and they bear, perhaps I can send you a few to try, or at least dry some and send you some of the pepper. They are supposed to be quite a small pepper, but rate about 100,000 to 150,000, perhaps more, on the Scoville hotness scale.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2009
  5. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    My grandmother lived out mescal road in southern arizona,
    she had one potted in her kitchen window.
    my cousin's and i will attest to the extreme heat of those little guys,
    we were all talked into taking a bite at one time or another:D
  6. OK, I done took the plunge and planted a couple of Chiltepins. :eek: I just couldn't resist. :D I understand these peppers are excellent for drying and making pepper for use in the winter. Donny, if I get a decent crop of them, I will dehydrate a bunch, grind them, and send you some of the pepper if you like. I might also try sending you some of the fresh ones if they'll keep well enough to get from Colorado to Texas. ;)
  7. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Sounds good to me, Rich!
  8. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Sorry for the drift, but the wife got me a new hot sauce for my fathers day breakfast, it says its a salsa on the jar, but i consider it more of a sauce.
    Its called Mrs. Renfro's habanero salsa. out of Ft. Worth Texas.
    Ever try it, pretty good, even made me sweat a little.
  9. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Nope, never tried it, but if it made you sweat... I'll be on the look for it! :D

Oh, BTW... I just picked up 7 fresh Anaheim from a local grower and roasted them for later use in some spicy green chile/habanero salsa. Cant wait. :)

Crpdeth
  10. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Rich

I have done a little research on these Chiltepin peppers and have kept an eye out for them growing wild... No luck, but I'll keep you up to date if I happen across any.

I did get to thinking though, if they are native, or should I say "Prone to growing wild" here, it might not be a bad idea to plant some here and there at various locations just to get them a little thicker in my area while taking what I want in the mean time. :D

Crpdeth
  11. Here's a brief article on them you might find interesting, Donny. Apparently, Texas named the Chiltepin it's state native pepper. I gather they grow wild in Texas, but are found mostly in rocky areas and in with other plants. If I get some this year, I will send you some seeds along with the pepper I make up. ;)

http://www.shgresources.com/tx/symbols/peppernative/
  12. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Very interesting read indeed, Rich... The Scoville reading on it really surprises me, pleasantly. Now I realize why I've never seen these things growing wild, the areas I run in are more bottom land type environments, certainly not steep and rocky, then there's the shrubbery thing, I guess it likes partial shade? I don't see any information on that.

I'll be very happy to take a few peppers and seeds. :D

Crpdeth
  13. No problem on that, Donny. Any other varieties of pepper you want seeds for as well? It's easy enough to save them and send them to you. I plan to do that for myself as well. Right now I have 20 different varieties of pepper growing. :D
  14. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

No Sir, I think I am okay as far as other seeds go, but I really like the idea of trying my hand at growing these Chiltepin peppers... Hey, let us know how the roasting process goes would ya? I think you are going to enjoy doing it, not to mention the wonderful flavor.

Crpdeth
  15. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Are these the little peppers they call Christmas peppers or ornamental peppers? They are like 1/2 inch in length and look like a house plant? If so those things are so hot they Nummed one of my teeth for a day.
  16. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

They may be a close relative, but the first difference I notice is that these plants are quite large compared to the ornamental plants. I've eaten one of those raw as well... Phew! :D

Crpdeth
  17. If I get 'em, you got 'em Donny, both whole peppers and seeds if possible. The two Chiltepins I put down look healthy enough, but I have not seen any blossoms on them as yet. These seem very straight and tall for pepper plants, but without a lot of the foliage you see on most varieties.
  18. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Rich, did you happen to read how tall they can grow in one season? I hope you have room! Also, greenhouse plants were yielding 50 to 100 pods per year and blooming all year.

Maybe you should just call them shrubbery and plant them all around the house. :D

Crpdeth
  19. Yup, I read about that, Donny. :eek: :rolleyes: I have them planted in large pots actually, and I can always stake them if they get really tall. If they produce well, I may try starting a few indoors from seeds during the winter and see how they do as house plants. That would be kind of fun, I think, and if they get too large, I can always set them out in the garden next spring. ;)
  20. rosierita

rosierita New Member

how do y'all roast your peppers?

my mema grew a jalepeno as a house plant for a few yrs... she may still have it.

you gotta get a q-tip to pollinate it tho.