Question for future comic book

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rose, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Rose

Rose New Member

Okay, first off I'd like to introduce myself. I am an aspiring artist and writer at the tender age of 17. Recently I underwent a story boarding project for my latest comic. However, this is the first time I have ever included guns in my stories.

I don't want to look like a donut when it comes to firearms so I am going to have a few questions for you guys.

First, would a desert eagle loaded with a .50 caliber bullet be able to take an entire limb off? I know that sounds dumb but I have to be sure. And how much damage would a shot from ten or so feet do? I know that the gun is really hard to handle and aim, and I actually play that into the scene.

I also need to know the different bullets that a revolver can hold. my mom's has .22's in it but she mentioned that it could use different ones.

I'll probably come up with more questions in the future. I just want to be informed before I write about it. Pictures of refrence would be most helpful.

Thank you!
  2. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

It`s a comic book, no one need no anything about specs.......make it up as you go. Better that way, the hero or villian always has the top shelf stuff---real or not. Cides ain`t no one gonna ask questions----it`s a comic book for crips sake.

Make it up, dare to be different.....it ain`t like they can see the serial numbers or caliber stamped on it.

Sgt. Rock and Fury RULE!!!!!!!!!!

LTS
  3. johnston3407

johnston3407 New Member

That's right, LTS has it. Anything can happen in a comic book!
  4. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Hmmmm Granted, it is a comic book and anyting goes, so long as consistency is held from one issue to the next.

However, I think the young lady asks some legitimate questions and deserves a legitimate answer.

1. No, the .50 DE will not take off an arm on contact. Depending on where the person was struck and with what kind of bullet, there could be massive damage resulting in instant death, to a clean hole through and through, causing pain and leakage, but not even incapcitating the person hit.

The gun is difficult to handle and aim for someone untrained, when compared to some others. However, to an experienced shooter, who has practiced with a DE, the tool is not that hard to use effectively.

Many revolvers can use different types of ammunition interchangably. The .22 revolvers can use .22 short, .22 long, .22 long-rifle, and/or .22 CB, to mention a few. These are merely variations of the basic .22 rimfire cartridge, differing in length and power. The .357 revolver can use 38 S&W, 38 Special and .357 Magnum rounds. These are all variations on the basic .38 S&W cartridge, differing in length and power. (However, note that a 38 Special revolver cannot use .357 Magnum ammunition.) There are others as well.

I recommend the Lyman books highly. They appear, at first glance to be for handloaders and reloaders, but there is a wealth of basic background information in each one, also. The Shooter's Bible is very good for a beginner's look into the fascinating obssesion....er... hobby of guns.

http://lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/
    (Click on "publications.")
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_g...rch-alias=aps&field-keywords=shooter's bible

Have fun and learn. It is the only way to grow. :D

Pops
  5. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Welcome Rose Just like Lts said anything can happen
    And their are bigger guns than a Desert Eagle like a S&W 500
    And Pops told you about they cartridges interchanging.
    If I can add one thing it will be that yes guns are great in comic books but if tooken to far it will just give guns an already worse image with the uninformed parents of you readers.
  6. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

I believe Jane's prints a world small arms catalogue. You might try to Google a specific calibre or firearm to see what kind of information is on the net. I have run across some interesting cause and effect stuff over the years that way.

The .50 DE is a very unhandy device. Only the biggest of hands are comfortable with its girth. There are some even less friendly pistols on the market. Thor automatic hunting pistols carry cartridges like the .444 and
    .45-70.

There's space for limitless imagination as armaments and technology go. At my shop we play around with a mag-gun which fires aluminum projectiles through plywood. Won't be seeing a guy carry one though; to much power intake to operate the coils away from a plug in.
  7. Rose

Rose New Member

You'd be surprised how angry some people get at the beleivabilty of weapons in comic books. But, I suppose I can just say screw 'em. I never planned on using actually reality but more of a fantasy based from reality. It's more of research so I am basing it off of knowledge not just what I know from my limited bank.

If that made any sense...(can't type right now)

I really enjoy all of this help though! It's mostly so I can understand each weapon and pick which characters will handle what. I'll be back when I have more questions.
  8. hoser1

hoser1 New Member

Rose, You do know that the Desert Eagle isn't a revolver, don't you?
    Oh, I read a lot of Dean R. Koontz and although he is getting better, he knew zip about guns. Talked about safties and clips on revolvers and such. It used to irk me pretty bad cause he didn't do his homework.
    I appreciate your wanting to do it right.
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  9. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Welcome to TFF, Rose! We are glad to be able to help with your questions.

As an additional suggestion, I would recommend going to a firing range (with an adult, of course). Many firing ranges will rent guns, and you could see many different types of weapons there and ask questions about them.
  10. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Welcome Rose...

I think Hoser nailed this one.

Thanks for all that work Pops, nice post Man.

Crpdeth