Question for S\W Model 52-2 (38Wadcutters)

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Kimber Man, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

I have been loading 148Gr. wadcutters and was I saying to myself...Why can't I use 158gr. SWC, flip them around , put the SWC into the brass and the flat part out ......and load them the same as 148 gr. wadcutter ?? (if I run out of the 148gr. wadcutters.) Same load data and etc.

any Problems ???
    has anyone done this ??? What was the results.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Pete
  2. stash247

stash247 New Member

Friend, in my experience, the gun runs on ONE load; a 148 wad, over 2.7 of bullseye. A 1911 type pistol, of which this is but a small variation, runs best on rimless rounds, of the same length as the original caliber.
    With the 52, S&W not only went to a rimmed case, but a longer one, as well, and made it work, well!
    One could, perhaps, re-invent the wheel, so to speak, and develop a more powerful load, a lighter load, whatever, but, WHY???
    The pistol had one heck of a lot of pre-production engineering, to function, and group, as it does. Would you re-engineer it, simply to use a cheaper, or more available, bullet?
    That's a lot of work, for little gain.
    I might play with WW231, or one of the similar powders, if Bull went out of print; every new batch of Bullseye requires a bit of fussing at the measure, for optimal accuracy. In some things (Just ask your wife) timing is everything, and this pistol is an excellent example of such a thing.
    HOWEVER; if you choose to attempt to re-invent the wheel, and come up with an accurate, reliable, load, we want to know!
  3. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

Stash247.............
    I sorry, maybe I didn't explain it correctly........Question is..can I invert the 158 gr. SWC and use it as a watcutter ????? in the 52-2 ?? same load and etc.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Kimber Man:

Stash247 is telling you that you are fooling with success. The gun works as well as it does, based on his experience, with the traditional load it has always used (148 gr SWC, 2.7gr Bullseye). He beileves anything else will not work as well but tell him if your experiment works better.

The whole S&W 52 series of guns absolutely amazes me. Not so much for their reported accuracy (great, I'm told), but for their ability to digest a rim cartridge with a bullet that is seated so it barely protrudes from the end of the case. Do you have any idea of what it must have taken in R&D to get that to happen and be accurate too? I almost agree with Stash247 that you should not fool around with success. But in reality it sure wouldn't hurt to try something different but don't be surprised if a feeding or accuracy problem developes during the testing.

I have yearned for a S&W Model 52 (in 38 spl SWC) for years when its price was out of bounds for me. Then when I could handle the price the gun got discontinued. Before the lastest "California Safety Testing" requirements it might have been possible to find a Model 52 on the used market in a dealer's case but not since that testing killed the used market (not a tested model so it can not be sold through a dealer). The only hope using a dealer would be Curio & Relic for a version manufactured prior to 1955. Finding one private party, which would be allowed here, is next to impossible as there is no easy place to look for it. Out of state sales is also not legally possible. Such is life. I'll just have to buy a differrent gun to control my sorrow.

LDBennett
  5. stash247

stash247 New Member

LD said it pretty clearly: don't f*** wih perfection. (Thought, for a moment, that was what I said!)
    The Smith does not need any 'help' as it shoots better than most of US, out of the box; nevertheless, should you flail around, and find a 'magic' load, we want to know!!!
  6. AGB

AGB New Member

Kimber man,

I have done that, and it did almost no noticeable difference. I have a model 52-1, great gun, and it does not seem to care very much about small differences in reload. I may be too coarse to realize also. Have been reloading using 2 diff points here, both 148, one true wadcutter made by CBC and another one from a local supplier. Both perform the same way. Also used a SWC reversed like you suggested, no big deal. But I do not have acces to bullseye. I do use CBC 216, I have achart somewhere from CBC that does compare itself to bullseye but dunno where it is now, but anyway, the gun seems to work pretty well at 25 yards using a li'l bit less than 2.7 grains. The best point I have reached is with 2.4, there is a diminish in the felt recoil and the gun still cycles properly. Less than 2.3 it does not cycle.
    I got this gun from a fellow, he was not using it because he got a Hammerly 240, he likes to shoot it more than the SW, so he diceded selling me both the SW and a woodsman.

LD Bennet,
    Do not comply about the gun laws You have. Here they are much worse. And guns are much more expensive. Got in the very same day 2 guns I've been dreaming about for sometime, a SW 52-1 and a woodsman. See, no big deal, whenever you expect, good things came by. Both in great shape, but not cheap. Both too great to use it is hard to use the other guns I have after them.
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

AGB:

I understand that you have really tough gun laws in Brazil.

If we do not complain here in the USA, the gun control nuts think they are winning and so announce that to the media which convinces the general public that we accept the new gun control laws. The squeaking wheel gets the grease, so we squeak loud and often to show that we disapprove of any laws or potential laws that remove our legal rights to buy, own, and use firearms (Second Amendment to our Constitution). The First Amendment allow us the free speech to do that.

You picked up some great guns there. Have fun using them!

LDBenentt
  8. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

AGB.......Thank You for your answer. I just loaded 25 rounds with 231 with 3.2 grs. Used 158 SWC (inverted) at 25 Yds. and gun shot well. This is something that I wouldn't not normally do.....But if I can't get any 148 Wadcutters I wanted to know ...What if............I'm an old engineer and my mind keeps going and I would like to be able to shoot my 52-2 when I want to.....not depending on one source of Ammo. ( It's my baby)
  9. AGB

AGB New Member

LDBenentt,

We are in big problems here, next october 23 there will be a public consult where and when all voting citizens here will have the opportunity to vote for or against a gun ban here. I do honestely hope the gun ban do not go into effect, I'm really sorry for future generations if it does go into effect. This gun ban will stop all the legal gun and ammo commerce here. It'll be unlawfull to buy and sell guns after it goes into effect. And for this stupid move I see my right to go buy guns whenever I want in danger. Guess it is better to hurry up now. But so many options and so little time and money. Not fun. Not fair! Not to mention that we have some ridiculous gun laws here and the max we can use for self defense is either a 38 spl revolver or a .380ACP pistol. Everything else above this is considered restricted calibers. And not suited to general public. For those about to hunt, a great show is trying to kill an onça, our local big and ferocious cat with a 22.lr rifle. And a bunch of hunting dogs. Of course there are some well educated hunters with acess to decent weapons, but rest assured they are just a very small minority. When I try to explain that there was a gun ban in California restricting the .50 BMG people has an enourmous difficulty to understand exactely what is a .50 BMG. And always end up thinking I'm playing a joke on them.

Kimber man,

I understand it quite clearly. Glad I could help someway.