Question for the 1911 experts.

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by HBG, Sep 24, 2009.

1. HBG

HBG New Member

Being new to the forum and old to collecting, I had a question for the experts.
    I have a Colt with markings of four patented dates of 20 April 1897, 9 Sept 1902, 19 Dec 1905 and 14 Feb 1911, behind the dates is Colts PT.F.A. Mfg Co. Hartford CT, USA. The circled rampant colt on the aft left side of the slide. The monogram with lettering WGP below the slide lock. There is not a serial number on it at all. No, none of the metal has been removed. The leather hoster has stamped 1913 also WGP lettering.
    The question: is this a protype or a lunchbox special? Is there any value there?
    Look forward to hearing from the best.

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 006.jpg

Picture 007.jpg

Picture 008.jpg
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

sounds like you have one of the firsts. Until military contracts geared up and manufacturing processes were standardized all the early colts to my knowledge were machined with all the patents on the weapon, Im not the most collector savvy and someone will be along shortly with more precise information, but it sounds to me like you may have a real gem on your hands...
  3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i aint got a clue.
  4. jondar

jondar New Member

Well, obviously a military arm. Does it have the United States Property marking? The lack of a serial number may or may not be a problem. Would be difficult to date the year it was made. The inspectors marking may give a clue as to the date of manufacture. I will try to find my inspectors list and tell the dates this inspector worked.
  5. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

the wgp stands for walter g penfield, the first inspector ( ? ) the fact it doesn't have a serial number is odd. all colts had one. now it may be a arsenel rebuild . look for a letter stamped on the gun,
  6. jondar

jondar New Member

Major Penfield inspected the Colt pistols from serial #1 to #101,500 so a wild guess on my part would be your pistol was made 1912-1913 but w/o a serial number impossible to do. Incidently, serial numbers were never removed from pistols by the military. If there is also no United States Property marking on the pistol, it was removed by someone other than the military.
  7. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

i suspect a rebuild by either the gov't at one of the many arsenels or a kitchen gun smith replacing the frame some time during it's life. very early in it's life. prior to 1968 since it doesn't have a serial number. but no colts left the factory without one. now it maybe a lunch box special but colt kept a very close eye on these since they coudn't produce them fast enough to suit the army
  8. jondar

jondar New Member

It couldn't be a lunch box special with the inspector's cartouche on the frame.
  9. HBG

HBG New Member

OK gentlemen, I found new markings and took some more pics. There is a single letter "H" right above the firing pin. Also a number "2" stamped under the aft rear of the slide.

Picture 009.jpg

Picture 005.jpg

Picture 003.jpg
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  10. yellerdawg

yellerdawg Former Guest

Howdy HBG, you sure have an intersesting pistol there.

It is possible you have mixed parts and the serial on receiver has been removed......

The stop at the firin gpin that has the " H "..above it...if you remove the stop, there is good chance of a number stamped on reverse..this was common...however your pistol is far from common.

here is one link I use for ID areas of 1911/A1...back to serial # 1...

Regards and good luck.......clean it and shoot it..:) ...no P or +P though:D

http://www.coolgunsite.com/pistols/1911infopage.htm
  11. Ed K

Ed K Member

Try posting info on the Colt forumn real colt x-perts
  12. jondar

jondar New Member

On the frame, immediately below the patent dates, there should be "UNITED STATES PROPERTY". Does yours have this? If not, then my guess is that this inscription and serial number have been removed from the pistol. Many of these were done this way as the owner feels that the government will come take it away from him as a stolen gun. I've heard pros and cons on whether this makes the gun illegal. I've heard that a chosen serial number may be stamped on the gun by a gunsmith making it legal. I'm not implying or advising you to do this however. Looks like a nice gun and probably a good shooter like my 1918.
  13. HBG

HBG New Member

OK, Took the gun apart, cleaned the best I could, and found some more numbers. Here it goes, there is a "5" stamped under the barrel, under the slide there is a "T" stamped on the forward part, and on the aft end a number "2" is stamped. On the frame where the slide rails are is another "H" and a larger "V" stamped. I have exausted my eyes and glasses. I'm probably going to let it go with some of my other collection, Thank every one in advance for all the help.

Colt 001.jpg

Colt 003.jpg

Colt 005.jpg

Colt 012.jpg
  14. HBG

HBG New Member

This is probably a dumb question on my part, but I cant see any evidance of metal removed and if it was how could they fill the areas of metal removed and look like the blueing is all worn evenly. I do have access an Non destructive testing lab to x-ray to see any sub surface markings are present.
    Just curious as to what I have for historical purposes.
    Thanks
  15. WRC

WRC Member

I believe I'd have it checked by your NDI lab.

WRC