Question for the smoke polers

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by potato_sniper, Jul 1, 2003.

1. potato_sniper

potato_sniper New Member

Hey guys,
    I'm looking into getting a BP rifle(my first) for hunting and target shooting this fall. I've heard a lot of owners on the H&R forum that are really happy with their NEF huntsman .50s. Has anyone over this way ever shot/dealt with/owned one? They seem to be quite the cat's meow to those fellows and they're only about $125 from your friendly neighborhood Wal-mart. With the break open action, shot gun primer capability and removable breach plug it seems like it would be really easy to use and clean. Give me a shout all ye experienced Smokers. What say ye? Yeah or Nay?

Later.
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I don't have any direct experience with that weapon. However, read your hunting regulations very carefully. Many states have a requirement for only original style caps, not allowing the 209 shotgun primer.

Another reg to watch for is the exposed primer/cap requirement. This caught a number of new BP hunters who bought inline rifles with covered/protected caps.

I;ve read a number of good reports on the NEF and only a few negatives. Those negatives seemed, to me, to be reaching for an excuse to bad mouth, rather than giving an objective review of the weapon.

Enjoy shooting dirty. It's a blast. :D