Question For Those Of You Who Have .357 Lever Guns:

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by JohnnyFlake, Mar 10, 2012.

1. JohnnyFlake

JohnnyFlake New Member

What is your favorite roll your own load - powder - grains & bullet?

What is the effective range for your load, on pigs or small/medium deer out of an 18"/20" barrel?
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have a Winchester 94AE in .357, the load I use mostly for it is a 125 grain Hornady XTP bullet with 18.5 grains of Hodgden H110. I also load a 125 grain Berry's Bullet with 10.4 grains of Accurate #7. I also shoot both loads through my Dan Wesson revolver.
  3. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

I shoot a Marlin older model before the croosbolt safety. I like 158 lead cast over full case fffg black powder. Range is a hundred yards if needed. Smokeless I still use 158 grain and follow the powder reccomendations usually towards the upper end. I have used this gun for ground hogs and other varmit.

Been wanting to try some Hornaday XTP in it
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

JohnnyFlake:

Most modern reloading manuals have a rifle section for 357MAG. Don't use any reloading data handed out by friends or acquaintances or as seen on the internet unless you can find that exact load in a reloading manual.

I prefer to shoot 125 grain jacketed bullets (Hornady XTP) near 2000 FPS. I find AA#7 does a accurate job. At those speeds if you do not use jacketed bullets you will end up with a leaded up barrel. But my aim is accurate shooting on paper and killing cans, not hunting. While my load may work for hunting I have no idea if it will (??). This load works great in my real Winchester 92 and My Browning clone 92 levers. Refer to the Hornady reloading manual for details.

LDBennett
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    AA No.9, 158gr. HDY XTP, min load of 12.4gr. for 1,202fps, or max load of 13.8grs, for 1,367fps, these bullets are fired from a 6 inch barrel. I don't own a chronograph, so all I can say is that a rifle should produce more bullet speed with the same load used in a pistol. Please take the advice of LD Bennett, it is the advice I will give also. Any .357 mag load will kill deer, or pigs, with no problem if the bullet is placed right.