Question for those of you with kids in school

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by hkruss, Mar 7, 2010.

1. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

I was just wondering if you ever look through the history books your kids use. What I am concerned about is if they are still being taught much about the Constitution and our Founding Fathers.
    I hear all these stories about future textbooks containing less and less about our founders and the principles of Democracy. It seems our great leaders would have us to be more of a global society rather than a country whose inhabitants remember our roots and what it was that made this country great. Obviously, one of the best ways to change a society is to propagandize our youth while they are still young and malleable (Hitler Youth comes to mind here!).

Admittedly, I am a 'glass is half empty' kind of guy. I hate being that way, but based on the changes in society and changes in morals and values that I have seen in my lifetime, I feel it may be only a matter of time before our great country is no more. Not that it will cease to be, just that we as a nation will be a global citizen, no better or worse than any other country. No chance to reach and use our full potential. No, that would be unfair to other countries!
    The analogy I would use, would be the 'No Child Left Behind Act' in use in our schools. It seems the brighter kids are held back sometimes (and thus penalized) to let the more marginal kids catch up. So in a way, they are forced to be equal. Another example would be in kids team sports where everyone gets a trophy. I strongly disagree with this. Where is the motivation for a kid to improve his performance to earn a trophy? What ever happened to using competition to see the best rise to the top?
    America is that bright kid or that competitive player, or at least, we used to be! It infuriates me that our leaders seem to not want us to use our full potential and good work ethic to rise to the top!
    How does this relate to my original question? Because it is VITAL that our kids know just what and who it was that made us the best. So parents, please check to see what your kids are being taught these days. Check their textbooks. Raise Hell if schools are force feeding anti- America, anti-Constitution, global citizenship propaganda to your kids. The future of America depends on it!!!

2. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

An attempt is being made to turn the nation into a cesspool where only the realy big chunks float to the top.
  3. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Best way to assure your child is taught the way you want is to homeschool. We did, and my stepdaughter graduated at 15 years old. She was a Medical Office Administrator at 17. She was taught primarily by my wife, who pushed her hard.
    Good thing she's got a profession, she's having to support her family till her husband gets a Green Card.
  4. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I've been out of high school for five years about. I was taught about the Founding Fathers. But I will agree that alot of it is biased to some kind of political agenda. We were taught that LHO killed Kennedy. But we were also taught that the Civil War was over states' rights. We had Black History Month forced down our throats.

I think alot of kids today just look at it as something they have to do and don't really care too much about it.

As for politics in school, I will also say that alot of kids are young and stupid and decide to support the Democrats because alot of other people do, instead of actually thinking for themselves.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  5. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Our two kids are in private Christian school (where we as parents are both heavily involved too). Their history education is more balanced - but probably still lacking. The best way is to learn it yourself, and pass it on to them.
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    For those of you that have children in school, don't worry too much about what they are taught in school, teach them at home the morals, history, and other things you want them to know. Show them the facts, and they will readily see that what they are taught at school is so much less than the truth. It takes time, but the results are worth it. Get involved with your childs education, both at school, and at home. Lead by example. I have a Bonnie Blue Flag patch that I wear on my motorcycle vest, and while on one ride a 7 year old boy came up to me at a rest stop, and told me that he admired my flag patch. When I asked him what the flag represented, he told me. I was really surprised at this, and commented to his mom, and dad, about it. They told me he went to public school, but that they also added to his education at home. It works!
  7. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

Carver, + 100%.
  8. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Agreed!
    Whatever education your children are in, be involved. Find out what they're being taught and supplement as needed.
    One of my best friends and his wife are teachers. They'll tell you FAST that lack of parental involvement is the biggest cause of "problem students." He teaches in metro Atlanta and according to him very few of his students even care whether they pass. The few that are actually learning are the ones whose parents care and are involved.
  9. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

What's a Bonnie Blue Flag patch?
  10. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

11. dge479

dge479 New Member

We have our son in private school. It is much better, they are actually learning history and are spending alot of time on the constitution.
    However I am surprised to see bits of liberalism have snuck into his school.
    IE: We are a constitutional democracy. I dont know what that is, but I thought it was a representative republic. I had to correct the Social studies teacher of the reason for the second ammendment (they were incinuating it was to keep a standing army) . Stuff like that.
  12. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

dge479, the U.S. is a Constitutional Republic, the Old Soviet Union was a Constitutional Democracy. A Democracy with only one slate of candidates so what does that help?
  13. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    The Bonnie Blue was a Confederate flag. A single white star on a blue field. It was used as an unofficial flag of the Confederate States of America during the Civil War. I wore it as a patch on my motorcycle vest.
  14. Airdale

Airdale Active Member

Carver,

Thanks for mentioning the Bonnie Blue flag. Somehow this little tidbit of history had eluded this history major. It has an interesting history from 1810 to the Republic of texas. eventually morphing into the Lone Star state's flag. I ordered my own patches.

Bonnie Blue
    The first recorded use of the lone star flag dates to 1810. On September 11, 1810 a troop of West Florida dragoons set out for the provincial capitol at Baton Rouge under this flag. They were joined by other republican forces and captured Baton Rouge, imprisoned the Governor and on September 23, 1810 raised their Bonnie Blue flag over the Fort of Baton Rouge. Three days later the president of the West Florida Convention, signed a Declaration of Independence and the flag became the emblem of a new republic. By December 10, the flag of the United States replaced the Bonnie Blue after President Madison issued a proclamation declaring West Florida under the jurisdiction of the Governor of the Louisiana Territory. With this rebellion in mind, this flag was used by the Republic of Texas from 1836 to 1839. On January 9, 1861 the convention of the People of Mississippi adopted an Ordinance of Secession. With this announcement the Bonnie Blue flag was raised over the capitol building in Jackson. Harry McCarthy was so inspired that he wrote a song entitled "The Bonnie Blue Flag" which became the second most popular patriotic song of the Confederacy. The Confederate government did not adopt this flag but the people did and the lone star flags were adopted in some form in five of the southern States that adopted new flags in 1861.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2010