Question for Tranter

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dbrodin, Nov 18, 2009.

1. dbrodin

dbrodin New Member

Do you have anymore info on this? Is it as bad as it sounds in this short article?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,575452,00.html

A former U.K. soldier says he found a discarded shotgun and turned it in to police — and now faces at least five years in prison for doing so, ThisIsSurreyToday.co.uk reported.

Paul Clarke was found guilty of possessing a firearm Tuesday after personally handing it over to Surrey Police on March 20, the Web site reported. Clarke said he spotted the gun in his garden.

Clarke's lawyer Lionel Blackman asked the jury to consider how they would respond if they found a gun.

"This is a very small case with a big principal," Blackman told ThisIsSurreyToday.co.uk.

The judge in the case said the intention of anybody possessing a firearm is irrelevant, the Web site reported.

The jury took 20 minutes to issue the guilty verdict, ThisIsSurreyToday.co.uk reported.
  2. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Hello, I am pretty sure that Tranter has moved on. I am not positive. Anyhow what a story. Hopefully they let this guy go.
  3. ARB

ARB New Member

That's, totally messed up. You would hope for at least a hung jury. Maybe, one person that could sympathize.
  4. Charlie the sniper

Charlie the sniper New Member

England, thats the USN aircraft carrier near europ
    The problem here is, the man was found guilty of being in possession of an illegal Firearm. The law was broken, that's why he was found guilty. Now, should the case have been taken to court? in my opinion "NO", he should have been given a police caution (a warning, not to do it again). His mistake was not informing the police of his find, he phoned the police station, saying that he had something for a senior officer. When he arrived at the police station, he pulled out the shotgun without informing the officer, that he had a shotgun. You could imagine the few moments of panic. I just hope the judge will give him a verbal reprimand. Oh and may be pay the officers laundry bill.
  5. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

He should've picked up the shotgun (w/ gloves on) & dropped it over the fence into his neighbor's yard.... ;) :p :D

I'm only kidding!!! What he should've done, really, was call a LEO to come & get it. He's lucky it wasn't used in a crime..... he'd really be up a creek w/o a paddle if that was the case! :rolleyes:

(I'm oh so glad I don't live in the UK!)

SR
  6. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

This is the liberal vision.
  7. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

What a crock....

...but don't worry, my fellow Americans! British-style gun laws coming soon to YOUR town! Courtesy of the 'Bama Bunch!:mad::mad::mad::mad: