Question for vets.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bard, Jan 10, 2005.

1. bard

bard New Member

Veterinarians that is. Bear is 6 weeks old and appears to be very healthy and has had his first puppy shots. The problem is that his poop(please excuse the use of this term) is extremely runny. He is eating Pedigree puppy chow and nothing else. He romps, chews and utterly destroys everything in his path. So, it doesn't appear that he is sick, other then the runs. I am reluctant to take him to the local vet because of past bad experiences with them and I wouldn't want them to doctor my pet frog. But, I will if I have to. Doctor Bear, I mean, not the frog. I thought maybe someone on the board has had some experience in this problem and could give some good advice. Thanks for any help........
    PS,
    He appears to be normal except for his weird way of sleeping......
    [​IMG]
  2. Pipskicks

Pipskicks New Member

ok, I don't know if this is the wrong question to ask, but where did you get a bear from? I never heard of anyone trying to raise a bear. Are you nursing him to health and then freeing him?

I'm just curious, that bear looks real cute, but he also looks like he could do some damage if you got on his bad side...
  3. MisterEd

MisterEd New Member

Bear is an absolute Teddy Bear!! Correct me if I am wrong but is Bear a Yellow Lab or Golden Retriever? Anyway I think bear needs a better diet for awhile. I would cook some white rice and mix in slightly cooked hamburger with some veggies, bone meal, wheat germ and maybe some alfalfa sprouts to help "solidify" things. Also make sure Bear is not getting into any liquid but water. I think Bear may need more protien - he looks strong and is probably very active.
  4. Pipskicks

Pipskicks New Member

I'm such a retard.......

:confused: :confused: :D :D :D :D
  5. bard

bard New Member

Pipsticks....I assumed you were kidding and I still think you were. Bear is a Yellow Lab that only looks like a Polar bear.... :D :D I have his dad and raised him from a pup and he is a carbon copy of him.

MisterEd.....I will try the diet. It sounds like something that might be good for me too... :) :) :p :p Thanks.
  6. MisterEd

MisterEd New Member

I was thinking he was a yellow lab! I had to put down my black lab of 12 years just last May.
  7. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Member

Bard,
    I think this might be normal for a puppy, but you could try calling a local lab breeder or trainer if you don't trust your vet. You could even try calling a vet in another town. I'm lucky, the best horse & dog vet in the world is with in walking distance of my place...
    Good luck to you & Bear
    Huck Finn & Pirate (The Wonder-Dog)
  8. Redneck

Redneck New Member

try switching foods gradualy, not all at once. My dogs get the backdoors trots when there is a change in feed, one dog can eat one thing and the other can't. You need to experiment with different feeds to see what he can eat without runny stool. BTW, my dogs love PKC brand feed and the high fat/high protien seems to be a good balance.
  9. bard

bard New Member

All good advice and information. Bear and I appreciate it, and will follow it. Thanks. :) :)
  10. whiteclouder

whiteclouder New Member

As long as it has SOME form, don't worry about it. If it's completely runny, he may have a bug in his stomach. Poppy poop can be thin because of the chow they eat.

Cloud..