Question on 1911 Range Officer/Remington R1 M1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by bobbarto, Jan 22, 2011.

1. bobbarto

bobbarto New Member

Hi,
    I'm thinking about purchasing a 1911 Range Officer OR a Remington R1 M1911.
    I would like to have some feedback on which 45 is the best one to purchase.
    I will be using the above for ONLY Target practice and personal protection.
    The 1911 Range Officer goes for about $950 and the Remington R1 M1911 goes for about $700. I really don't mind paying a higher price, just want the best one and it needs to be Reliable, easy to maintain and so on.

Please feel free with your opinion,

Thanks

Bobbarto
  2. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

I have neither so what I say will strictly be an opinion. Remington just got back into the 1911 market about a year ago. Springfield has been building 1911's for many years. I have a "Loaded" edition of the Springfield and it is hands down the best shooting gun that I have. It has a lot of upgrades and can be found in the $750 to $800 range if you look hard enough. It has night sights which helps with target acquisition in daylight and dark. So, my vote would be to expand you search and look at the "Loaded" Springers. They come in parkerized or stainless steel. The warranty is excellent and Springfield's customer service (I had to use) is the best that I have worked with so far.

Well so much for my opinion! Good luck with your search.
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Of the two listed, I'd pick the Springfield Armory Range Officer due to adj rear sight, match grade barrel and fitted parts. The Remington R1 is still too new IMHO. I'd bet a dollar to a donut the Range Officer will out shoot the R1 without a lot of work.

Do yourself a favor and check out the STI Spartan before buying. I'm testing one now and I'm very impressed with it. :)

http://www.stiguns.com/guns/Spartan/Spartan.php

Good luck and keep us posted on your purchase and welcome to TFF.
  4. the yooper

the yooper New Member

glock guy cant coment sorry!
  5. bobbarto

bobbarto New Member

Thanks for your opinion.....it looks like the Springfield WINS as far as now.

Bobbarto
  6. OcelotZ3

OcelotZ3 Former Guest

Another vote for the Springer. You should be able to get it for MUCH less than $950 even at a normal gun show or gun shop. I would expect in the $700-$750 range.
  7. bobbarto

bobbarto New Member

How would you compare the Springfield Armory Loaded 1911 in stainless to
    the Springfield Armory Range Officer
    The Springfield Armory Range Officer is a little more money.
    The 1911 Range Officer goes for about $950 and If you want (1 out of 500) series....it my cost around $990.00.

1911 Range Officer 1 of 500 PI9128LP
    So the question is...do I want to spend more money for the Range Officer or
    purchase the Springfield Armory Loaded 1911 in stainless for less money?

Bobbarto
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  8. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

They are pretty much the same gun except for the fact that the Range Officer is only offered in parkerized right now. I personally like the night sights which did come on my parkerized "Loaded", so the "Loaded" is my choice. Either way you will not go wrong. There are many places on the web to look to find the best price. As long as you can legally purchase a gun the only thing that you have to do is find an FFL for them to ship the gun to. There will be a transfer fee but if the selling dealer is not in your state, no sales tax. The only downside is that you can't handle the gun before you purchase. The standard loaded model #is PX9151LP. You may have to look around to find on with the night sights as that is not a standard.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  9. bobbarto

bobbarto New Member

Thanks for your imput.

I will start to look around and also call my local dealer for the The standard loaded model #is PX9151LP with the night sights.

Thanks

PS....do you think the Range Officer 45. will be worth more money than the loaded model #is PX9151LP in the long run since it's number from 1 to 500?
  10. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

First 1911 was a Rock Island M1911A1. To tell you the truth, the Rock Island is a great one to start out on. Especially if you want to build it up into a target pistol. I paid $500 for mine new. Never had a problem with it.

[​IMG]

The one I currently own is the Springfield M1911A1 Loaded. Really great pistol. It's got all the stuff on it already that you'd probably add later anyway.

[​IMG]

But as far as the Remington R1 goes, from what I hear they are pretty good 1911s.
  11. bobbarto

bobbarto New Member

Guys....know you your confusing me with the Rock Island.
    I thank you for your opinion but lets stick with the Springfield Armory Range Officer and the Springfield Armory Loaded 1911 in stainless.

Bobbarto
  12. bobbarto

bobbarto New Member

It looks Like I can't get the Springfield Armory Range Officer and the Springfield Armory Loaded 1911 in stainless...it could be months before they come in...from two local dealers.

What about the smith-wesson 45's? S&W makes great 45's
    Model SW1911 $1,039.00 What do you think?
    OR should I just wait and try to get the Springfield Armory Loaded 1911 in stainless?

Bobbarto
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  13. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    Get a Springfield "Mil Spec," preferably parkerized. It's the basically the design that fought in 4 wars. It has a few improvements that I believe JMB could get on board with. Bigger, better sights. (He was pretty skimpy with his sights.) Opened up the ejection port and a few other tweaks. It's ready to go right out of the box. It's made of forged steel, where the R1 is cast. Don't know too much about Rock Island except to say that they are made in the Philippines, while Springfield's are made in the USA . TJ
  14. bobbarto

bobbarto New Member

The Springfield 45ACP MIL-SPEC Parkerized looks like a great pistol and something I think would be great for me. The price is right and it's Reliable.....that's all that counts.
    I did call a gun dealer just know to see if they have it in stock, they will let me know tomorrow.

Thanks for your inputs,
    bobbarto
  15. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

If you have the legal ability to purchase a gun in your state, look at the internet sights to purchase a gun from as long as it is new. You will have to have it sent to a local FFL and pay a transfer fee. You can check with the local FFL's and see who will charge the least for the transfer, and have the gun sent to them. You will then go to their place, fill out the Federal form, pay the transfer fee and you will be on your way. Most likely you will save money inspite of the transfer fee. I use a guy that only charges $25.00 to transfer and have used a guy that only charged $15.00 but he retired. If you save $80.00 to $100.00 on the exact same gun going through this process then you are ahead of the game. After all, it is your money not anyone else's.
  16. dragman

dragman New Member

RIA's are the best of the "cheap 1911's"
    Taurus, Magnum, Springfields are what I would call good "Mid levels"
    Colt, Kimber, Hi end Springfields are "Hi end"
    and then there are some that are just better than I need: Dan wesson, Nighthawk, wilson combat.

Remington's 1911 is the WORST on the market IMO and it's not cuz I don't like Remingtons cuz my favorite rifle of all time is the Remington 700!
  17. duane5157

duane5157 New Member

I have an RO and it is a fine weapon. I personally would look for a stainless weapon. I have gone thru several .45s and they all have there issues. I belive If you get one (anyone) and rack the slide 3-400 hundred times and run it wet for a little bit you will take out a lot of issues due to the surfaces mating nicely. A cheaper gun you can build to your specs a more expensive gun may already have the items you are looking for. Heack you may not like a .45 and then your out the money you spent. Go to a range and shoot several different calibers and see which one you like. Even if you have to drive several hours to a range to rent, it will save you maney in the long run. And by the way I really enjoy my springfield RO. Duane5157
  18. Olympus

Olympus New Member

You can purchase a Range Officer in the price range of $750 to $850. The prices I've seen throughout this thread are a little on the high side. Don't spend the extra money for the 1 fo 500 versions. There's tons of information on the net about how there is nothing "limited' about these guns. They are exactly the same as the ones that don't say 1 of 500. It's simply a marketing ploy for the first 500 guns of this particular model. Nothing makes them more valueable or worth more than any other.

If you're prepared to spend $950, don't waste your time with an STI Spartan. Go with the STI Trojan. Nothing wrong with the Spartan, but the Trojan is in a whole different category of nice.
  19. bobbarto

bobbarto New Member

I decided to go with the Springfield 45ACP MIL-SPEC Parkerized package......I just can't find one to purchase. If anyone can location one,
    please let me know...............Thanks for your inputs,
    bobbarto
  20. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I agree, $700 is what you will find the realistically. Many are listed right now on Brandx for $729 don't overpay because this is the latest Springer product.