Question on 22's barrels

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by John1 S, Jan 4, 2012.

1. John1 S

John1 S New Member

Is it any advantage of having a barrel over 18" if you have a scope on the gun??
  2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

No velocity advantage. Maybe a handling advantage depending on how the gun balances.
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i thought the longer the barrel the more accurate?
  4. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

It does seem that way sometimes but I've had card cutters that were 18 inches as well as card cutters that were 27 inches. Long barrels are quieter.
  5. steve99f

steve99f New Member

Only for iron sighted guns, longer sight radius. With a scope sight, the sight radius doesn't matter.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Beth, accuracy consists of two different things.

The gun's ability to put multiple bullets in the same place.

The shooter's ability to make use of the gun's accuracy.

With iron sights, you line up the front sight with the rear sight. If the two sights aren't lined up exactly the same each time, the bullet will not go to exactly the same place each time, no matter how accurate the gun actually is.

The further the distance is between the front and the rear sight, the easier it is to see if you are slightly off. If you are shooting a revolver with a 8 inch barrel compared to one with a 2 inch barrel, it's easier to keep the 8 inch one pointed correctly.

It's the same with a rifle. If your sights are 12 inches apart, which is about normal on a 16" barreled carbine, it is easier to be just a little bit off, than if your sights are 24 inches apart, like on a 30" barreled rifle.

That's one of the reasons why "receiver sights" are more accurate than regular leaf sights. Check out these three Winchesters of mine. Notice the top two have the same length barrel, but since the top one has a receiver sight, the rear sight is 6" farther away from the front sight than the barrel sight on the middle gun.

[​IMG]

Now look at these two Winchesters. The top one has a "tang sight". It is even farther back than the receiver sight in the other pic. The sight radius difference, on these two guns with the exact same length barrel, is about 12 inches.

[​IMG]

With a scope, you see the same thing through your sight, no matter how long or short the barrel of the gun is. That's why the question.

John, there is going to be a noise difference. The 18" barrel is going to be louder and will have more muzzle blast than, say, a 24" one. That may or may not be a consideration for you.

But accuracy - no. No need.
  7. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

have to look at pics when i get home-thanks kiddo
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

to me the crown, the lands, and twist rate have more impact on accuracy that barrel length ( over 16" ) fixed plenty of poor shooters with a great crown job ( excuse the ad and self promotion ) but its up to each rifle

i've a 17 1/2" barrel that will circumcise a fly if i can see it and a 24" one thats lucky to group 3" at 25 meters... but i'll fix that ..
  9. John1 S

John1 S New Member

Thanks guys. The 10/22 will be in to today or tomorrow with a 22 " barrel. I was thanking that maybe a little longer barrel may slow the faster bullets down some and make them more accurate??? I know that a 18" barrel is all you need, Like 1435 FTPS to 1300FTPS??. I'll just have to try it , I know. Some of the target guns (22's) have long barrels. What do you thank??
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

theres long barrels and long barrels , folks have different tastes and ideas , 1 is that the longer the barrel the more accurate it is , that comes from the high end target guys

there most of the long ones are to take a barrel tuner , a weight placed along the barrel to remove vibration , and not so much of the round generated vibration but action and trigger fall vibration , hammer too but its both centrifugal and longitudinal and oh there 's lots to go into ..

folks also spend $7000 on rifles , , but for my day to day hunting , ( which is a big income stream for me, so shot placement counts ) a normal .22lr bolt action made in 1934 with a 4x tasco scope is my money spinner , or the .22 magnum a lot newer than the LR , but its my go to fox rifle , good for goaties , roo's and lots a critters
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  11. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

There have been several tests documented in written articles that show the relationship between barrel length and velocity. Accuracy is not a function of velocity or barrel length (unless the length allow the front and rear open sights to have greater separation to increase SIGHTING accuracy).

For 22LR it has been found that the maximum velocity is generated with barrel lengths between 16 to 18 inches. Any longer and the velocity actually falls off. It turns out that bullet friction in the barrel over powers any gain from the expanding gasses pushing on the bullet for a longer time in the longer barrel.

These tests usually start with a long barrel and cut it off an inch at a time while measuring velocities. I have seen this testing in several different articles.

LDBennett
  12. Freebore

Freebore New Member

Re: Question on barrel length

I currently have two Savage 17HMR's, one has a 20" heavy barrel while the other has a 24" standard, the 20" without a doubt out performs the 24" all day long. As a side note, I just recently cut down a 257 caliber McGowen Med Hvy barrel from 26" to 21.5" (added an 11 degree crown), it actually now groups a little better than before ( a little louder too) ??