The Firearms Forum banner

Question on 45ACP Load

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  PanhandlePop 
#1 ·
Still new, still learning...I checked three different sources for .45ACP loads for a 230gr remington FMJ-RN bullet.
Lyman 49th
230gr TMJ
Win231 start@5.2 max@5.8

Nosler
230gr FMJ
Win231 start@4.8 max@5.8

Lee(came with dies, so assume it's from their book)
230gr Jacketed Bullet
Win231 start@4.2 max@5.3

Went to the Hodgdon site and it lists 4.2 to 5.3, for a Hornady FMJ Flat Point.

I figured I would start with the starting loads but not sure which one to go with since Lee and Hodgdon are starting much lower than the others....guess I could average the four and start at 4.6...is my thinking correct?

thanks for the help.

-
T

See less See more
#2 ·
No adhear to the manual on all loads. I almost always choose the one that will use the least amount of powder. More bang for the buck.

#8 ·
Thanks all for the info...I figure I'll do 5 rounds at 4.2 and 5 at 4.8 and then reevaluate and adjust as needed.
Just picked up another handgun...Sig 1911 XO, haven't even put a factory round thru it...because I couldn't find any yesterday locally...but I did find brass/primers/bullets.

-
T

#10 ·
What will it hurt if you start with the lowest listed loads? Since they are listed in a reloading manual it prolly won't be too low to cycle your gun. As with any new load, start with loading 10 rounds (or I like to load 2 magizines full, so in my 45 ACP it's 16 rounds). If you don't like the low loads, load the next batch higher. There is no down side to reloading too much/too many times. I've never been in a hurry to develope a load 'cause I'm reloading and shooting. Isn't that what it's all about?

#11 · (Edited)
I use the lyman data on the loads you listed, 5.2 - 5.3gr of 231 is fine. Keep in mind the variables you see in different manuals reflect different COAL, barrel lengths, primers, environmental factors etc. Fortunatley 45 acp is a rather forgivng cartrige in the pressure side of things.

#12 ·
best thing to do is have several manual and compare the diff loads they publish, then pick what you wish to try..
also the diff powder manf all have published loading data,, compare them also,, work up your load and NEVER start with a max load,, keep a close eye on your cartriges for signs of over pressure,,just be safe for your own saftey and those around you,, good luck and have fun

#13 ·
I have made that mistake. No more than 10 in a work up batch now.
Too light can be a problem function. The Lee start load to which you refer seems very low to me. You didn't cite the recommended OAL and that can have a huge bearing on the recommended loads! In my experience with 231, I've found loads of near 5.0 gr at an OAL of 1.25 for 230 gr FMJ are comfortable enough to shoot all day long. As noted by others work up small batches to find the load that works best for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.