1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Question on a VERY odd bullet

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by ampaterry, Aug 17, 2010.

1. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

About 35 years ago, I worked with a guy that found this bullet at a VERY old range. Now civilian, the range had at one time been military. When he first found it, he thought he had found one of those bullets that was used for the patient to bite down on during surgery, when anesthetics were unavailable. But when he cleaned it up, he realized this was not the case. I took a picture of it and sent it to the NRA along with a description of where it had been found. They said none of their experts had any idea what it could be.
    Well the picture is long gone, and I have lost contact with the bullet owner many years ago, but here is what he found.

The bullet was solid lead, about .30 cal and round nosed. The rear of it was still inside the brass case mouth, which had all corroded away except for just the mouth that enclosed the rear of the bullet. The exposed portion of the bullet was about 1" long.

Now for the screwy part.

The bullet had two deep indentations in the lead, each a curved section like it had been squeezed REAL hard between thumb and forefinger. The indentations were each about .080 deep, on opposit sides of the bullet, and IDENTICAL in all respects.
    BUT - there were absolutely no signs of lead deformation around these dents. IOW, they were MOLDED into the bullet, or possibly MACHINED into it after molding, not made by any squeezing or smashing after it was finished.

The only thing that came to mind with me was possibly these indentations were originally filled with a pyrotechnic compound in some sort of experimental tracer round, but I would think rubbing on the rifling would dislodge it from the lead - -

Anyway, can anyone hazard a guess from my poor description?
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

the only thing even close was a book about the history of bullet design for the "new age" M16 etc , they had dual or twin projectile loads, the had offset rounds, they had a twisty flechette type round , and they had one that may be similar to what you are describing ,

impact twists the tails round and you get a bigger wound pattern was the idea

otherwise i dont have a clue ..

EDIT ,

there's a Czech made grenade launching system that uses a collapsible projectile instead of a ballisite round no pic of the round though

the bullet is fired as normal guided by the site integrated into the launcher attachment

the bullet travels up the barrel and get caught in the bullet trap driving the grenade forward the bullet is weak in the mid section and this collapses firing the propellant charge approx 3-4M from the soldier firing it propelling the grenade a max of 65 meters

could this be your critter ?
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  3. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Jack, it sure could be -
    The center of this bullet WOULD be weaker due to the two big chunks missing, causing the middle to be much thinner -
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

and you can ID it in the dark by feel, its was a feel good solution , ( found a few bit's here, no pic's yet)
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

the system was Licenced in a couple of arms places in South america and south Africa and they got everywhere apparently i think i have seen em in Cambodia but it was just more junk to be carted away