Question on barrels

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by John1 S, Dec 29, 2011.

1. John1 S

John1 S New Member

Why do people like the bull barrels so much on the 10/22??? I can see where it is ok for the bench shooting, but I don't think it would be very good in the field because of the weigh. What do you think??????
  2. Albtraum

Albtraum Member

My brother has a tactical solutions .920" barrel with the threaded end with muzzle break/compensator. For a 16" barrel, it IS pretty darn heavy. Not to mention a heavy thumbhole laminated stock. I guess it depends on what kind of shooting you do. Volquartsen makes fluted barrels, that should shave weight from the barrel, but they cost more than the 10/22 itself.
  3. fordtrucksforever

fordtrucksforever New Member

Bull barrels usually replace the stock one on a 10-22 so you can achieve greater accuracy. And it you own an AR variant its just cool to say H-bar...
  4. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

You don't even have to leave your truckside to limit out when you have a nice bull barrel on your Ruger.....you shoot set the gun down, then go pick up your tree rats and go home. You don't have to carry it far at all! :)
  5. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

We have both. My rifle is has a 20" kid bull and my wifes rifle has a Clark Custom 16" mid weight. Both very accurate with mine being a bit better but hers makes for a very accurate hunter. Good for under 3/8" at 50 yards. Weight with a 4-14 scope and a hogue stock is under 7lbs. Mine is 10.8lb
  6. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

There are many options in the bull barrel type including lightweight and light tension type barrels; the bull barrel profile fits any of the broad range of aftermarket stocks and is available in different diameters. 10-22 junkies all have their favorites and swear by them; they are only one option to convert a good shooting rifle into a personalized match grade gun.
  7. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I use one for better accuracy and at least to me, they hang better off-hand than the light, "whippy" stock barrels. And yes, I've had both versions at the same time for many years.
  8. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

Ya don't need a bull barrel on a Marlin 60, they are accurate without them,just saying! BTW the 60 is a great gun!:)
  9. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Well there is accurate ,then there is really way more accurate too. But you are right many marlands do shot very well.
  10. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

Well, the Rugers are accurate with the stock barrel too. But, upgrades are nice. And, from what I heard at the local gun shop two days ago the 60 is extinct for now. My dealer called for parts and many aren't there and may never be and as of right now they told him no new ones would be built either.
  11. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Don't use local dealers for parts . Most can't find there butt . Go to midway usa, brownells , clark customs, kidd, Volquestrin and so many others to order what you want and if your not sure go rimfirecenteral and ask for some guidance. Most dealers have limited knowledge if any on assesories. Other than what they have on the floor to sell you.

Also most rugers skinny barreled 10/22's make a marginal hunting rifle if your target is the head of a tree rat 35 yards and not the body.

With 11 million model 60's built and sold bet it stays around. Right now marlin is just moveing.Some models may be reduced but down't expect the line to stop on the model 60's.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  12. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

I live in Iowa not uptown Boston, the dealer is a gunsmith and a damn good one. The parts is due to Remington purchasing Marlin and preferring to allocate resources to their own lines and specific Marlin products. Sounds like the 60 isn't one of them and will die out.
    http://www.forum.fishgame.com/showthread.php?t=325
  13. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Up town boston!!!! They have smiths !!!! or dealers? Should have said your "dealer was a smith too. Still may not matter.
    Guess yours was one of the few that put in his 8ooo hours of a apprenticship too. So many call them selves smiths and do there 6 of 9 weeks of tech school and call them selves a smithy. But good for you you have areally good smithy/dealer. Not good in most of the world to use a "dealer" for parts. Be like getting advise on a car from the salesman. Get my point.

Time will tell what we really can buy and get from marlin as the move alone does screw up the works. There has been NO update news in the last 10 months on marlin moveing or closeing any line other than hear say from this rag or that rag or some old tread from 1 year + ago. Soooo much old news. Local dealer still gets marlin in to sell, model 60's included. Time only will tell.
  14. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    The bull barrel is also real good at not heating up as fast as a standard barrel. Thus keeping it's accuracy longer when firing a lot of ammo. I own a Magnum Research .22 Mag with stainless steel bull barrel, and it weighs in at 7.5 pounds + scope, and ammo. Then there are the steel lined carbon fiber bull barrels, and some of these guns come in around 5 pounds.
  15. BlkHawk73

BlkHawk73 New Member

Bull barrels typically are for target shooting so why the worry bout heat? One doesn't target shoot at such a rate to create enough heat to warrant any change in performance. If one's that concerned about such a miniscule change in accuracy, they'd be looking at something a bit higher up the ladder than a typical 10/22 bull barrel.
    As far as weight...if the little extra weight of a 18", even a 20" bull barrel over a standard sporter barrel is so much that it's burdensome, maybe an exercise regime is in order. Even for little ol me, all #127 of me has easily carried an 8 or 9 pound rifle in the field all day. Surely a big tough guy could handle that.
  16. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

Well, he looked around a bit for magazine tubes(uses Numrich quite a bit I know) and didn't have much luck finding them. He spoke to someone at Remington/Marlin that told him they didn't have any tubes for parts or even new rifles for production. I can see a customer service person not knowing and dropping the ball on things here and there, but that is something big to err on. I know from my work in manufacturing that it may be a while till the "new" rifles disappear, but it sounds like they will sooner rather than later if this is true. They are operating on inventory only I believe.
  17. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Well untill marlin or numrich figures thangs out tell your smithy to contact bobs gun parts for the tube type magazine assembles. there in stock. All 3 lenghts
  18. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

I will tell him when I see him next, need to drop off a payment to him anyway. Thanks! Oh, he isn't the most computer saavy guy out there. He like me is kind of like the old dog that doesn't like to learn new tricks. He knows how to turn them on and off, but in depth searches well....... :)
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  19. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Hes only one step behind me then on the net. I just found BOB's and a couple other sites a few years ago for many hard to find parts on older firearms. Not allways cheapest but not many places to find some parts out there. Thats were bobs site shines.