QUESTION on CRFFLs in California....Little help?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/21/02 10:00:32 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All QUESTION on CRFFLs in California....Little help?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I got a guy whos asking me questions and stuff on my Astra on AA, and his last question is he wants to know if I will ship to a CRFFL...I said sure...then remembered something about restrictions on CRFFLs in that darn state...

What problems will he have, or better yet, will I have if I ship a CR handgun to California? (If he gets it of course...)

Isn't there a stupid "drop test" or something, and it's against the law to SHIP it there?

What happens if he wins the bid then can't receive it?

God bless Indiana! (and Have Mercy on California!)

We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

Edited by: polishshooter at: 1/21/02 10:16:53 pm

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (1/21/02 11:36:49 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: QUESTION on CRFFLs in California....Little help?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Very good question!! I have no idea. I know you probably don't want to do this, but maybe a call to your local BATF is in order. Of course just whats on paper is really what counts and not the beliefs of the agent you talk with so be careful there.

Bob In St Louis
    (1/22/02 8:20:27 am)
    I have bought a lot of handguns from California C&Rs - the state is glad to have them ship them out of state. As to shipping C&Rs INTO California - you really do need to find out the state regs. Goofy damn state.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

polishshooter
    (1/22/02 11:08:50 am)
    Well the guy emailed me back and told me there are no such restrictions on CR handguns in the state, the drop test doesn't apply, etc.

So I guess if he bids I can send it...I figure as long as I'M in compliance with Federal Law, I'm OK, right?

My only concern is UPS, my counter girl once told me "it's Ok for you to ship RIFLES, it's GUNS you can't ship."

SO I figure I may have to go out of my way to ship it in the UPS counter in Muncie where they seem to be less "firearm ignorant..."

BTW, I invited the guy for California here, please welcome him if he makes it as warmly as we usually do...which, I know, is absolutely unecessary for me to ask.

Bob, I also told him it was you that looked up the date for me, and have seen the gun, so any additional info you could tell him about it if he shows up I'd appreciate, as our "impartial Eibar expert..."

We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

RobC in Missouri
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/22/02 11:36:46 am)
    Dennis Kroh has a writeup of CA FFL laws on his website ( www.empirearms/com , under the FAQ section). In short, CA only recognizes guns that are over 50 years old as C&R - even listed guns aren't considered C&R in CA if they're less than 50YO. Also, no pistol or concealable firearm can be shipped to a C&R FFL, even if it is C&R - all handguns must go through an 01 FFL.

Your buyer in CA, if he wins, will have to line up an 01 FFL for you to ship the handgun.

RobC in Missouri

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (1/22/02 4:08:43 pm)
    GREAT....Our man Polish could now get negative feedback from the guy when he informs the buyer of Ca. laws or because AA's requires the seller to leave negative feedback on the buyer to recover any auction costs. I feel for you Polish, I hope it all works out for you.

polishshooter
    (1/22/02 6:04:38 pm)
    Well, he hasn't bid yet...and I went and edited in the phrase "...except where prohibited by state or local law..." after the "...FFL, or CRFFL..."

I hope THAT protects me...

How could I even be held responsible for knowing California law? Isn't it the responsibility if the BUYER to know his laws??? He ASSURED me it was OK to recieve CR handguns under California law...

Geez, I know I got in trouble over at GB for saying this, but I HAVE to believe, if you are a gun nut. shooter, or collector, and you live in NY or CA, the best thing you could do is MOVE.

And I lived in New York for 21 years...and all my family still lives there, and I like to visit...and it's beautiful, and Western New York has some good people, and I'll ALWAYS be a Bills and Sabres fan...BUT....

After living in the midwest, I would NEVER live there again....

WyomingSwede
    (1/24/02 12:04:17 am)
    Theres a lot of idiots out california way... feel sorry for the good folks that have to put up with them. I would call the FFL that you ship to & make sure about the regs...then ship it. Your Californicator is probably too cheap to win the auction anyway. swede
    Wyoming Swede