question on DPMS .223

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr. Nameless, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

There is a guy where I live selling a DPMS .223 for $850.00, it has no iron sights (it has rails for both front and fore sights), 1 magazine, obviously no optics, and it still has that grease thats on the inside when they ship a gun (what is that stuff?:confused:). He claims no rounds have gone through this gun. Something seems wrong with me about that claim because you can not own a DPMS and not shoot it atleast once. But my question is, Is this a good price for the gun.
  2. chemfantry

chemfantry New Member

it is a little high in my area. for the basic flat top model with no optics and used (yes it is used even if he hasnt fired it. it left the store) i would expect to pay more like 700-750. rail hand guard system add about 150 bucks. it greatly depends on the area you are shopping, though. the grease is most likely cosmoline or some other brand of rust preventative.
  3. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

it just has 2 rails on it/ the flat top and that little 2-3 inch rail on the barrel
  4. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

My guess is it probably hasn't been fired. That grease is cosmoline. Look it over good for any wear and if you don't see any handling marks it's probably a fair deal if you planned on scoping it anyway. It probably sells new for in the neighborhood of $1000.00 to $1100.00, if you can get them. Maybe someone with more experience can advise you on what specifically you should inspect for on an AR.
  5. chemfantry

chemfantry New Member

the front rail is the top of the gas block. if it is just the basic bare bones carbine, that would be high where i am. you should visit local gun stores and see what they are asking. that would answer your question the best.
  6. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

7. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Sorry, I posted before seeing chemfantry's post. He probably knows better.
    Nothing against DPMS...have always heard good things about them but just for fun go to Olympic arms web site and see what you can get for your money. They seem to be a pretty good deal to me.

If this is identical to the rifle offered on the web site, I would order one of those rather than buying a preowned one for the same dollar amount. You'll be paying $25.00-50.00 more for your local FFL dealer fees but I like guaranteed new when possible.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  8. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

k i'll see what i can get with $1000.00 limit, thx for the advice guys
  9. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

today a friend of mine was given a price of 859.00 for that same rifle. From what i have seen that is a good price. going rate and up from there to 1400.00
  10. chemfantry

chemfantry New Member

correct. that rail is on top of the gas block. you can mount a flip up BUIS on it. if thats a good price in your area, i say jump on it. if it has that much cosmoline in it it couldnt have been fired much. ask them to look at the bolt carrier. if it isnt shiney on the bottom, just forward of the firing pin it hasnt been shot much.
  11. chemfantry

chemfantry New Member

cyclone is right as well, but that is the NEW price.
  12. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

i was lookin for a .223 but it didnt have the look that i wanted, i didnt even find a .223
    and I live on the coast of N.C. and only other .223 ive been able to find thats not bolt action is about 75 miles away and is $1200, but it comes with camo stock, 3 mags and a scope(simple scope like you would see on a pellet gun)
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  13. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

If you make a trip to Charlotte, I know two local gun stores that are still fairly well stocked with ARs. But you'll pay more than $850. Cheapest you can get one in this area is $1100.
  14. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

theres a gun shop with a very large selection of guns in it, it has quite a few AR-15s but they are all over priced and all of the AR-15s are used cuz they field test them before they release them, the shop is supposed to be the biggest on the east coast
  15. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Nameless, Right now just about every gun is overpriced, at least from what it was 6 month ago. To me that sounds like a pretty fair price, for this area anyway. Here is a link to a place that sells DPMS ARs and the prices vary quite a bit: http://www.impactguns.com/store/dpms_223.html Youcould buy one off the internet and have it shipped to your local FFL holder for a small price.

As far as a gun not being fired, I have a couple that I have never fired (but not my AR's).