QUESTION ON LARGE PISTOL MAGNUM PRIMERS

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Insulation Tim, May 4, 2009.

1. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I reload .45ACP exclusively, generally with 185 gr. LSW or 230 gr. LRN. I just realized that the last box of primers that I purchased were CCI Large Pistol MAGNUM Primers.....not Large Pistol regulars. It probably explains why the dealer had some.

What would happen if I were to use these with my Hogdon HP38 load. I'm not even sure at this point as to whether they will even fit into a .45ACP Cartridge. Are they useable or should I find some soul who loads Magnums and give them to him/her?

Thanks in advance.
  2. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

I have not done it myself but have talked to a lot of people that have. If you decide to try it you will need to drop the charge and work it back up. If I was going to try it I would use a medium burning powder and not a fast burning powder, not sure what HP-38 is.
    Rusty
  3. Freebore

Freebore New Member

I've loaded both Mag and Standard primers in my 45 ACP (700X) loads and really didn't notice any difference, had no problems seating and the bang was the same. The magnum primers are usually used for harder igniting powders. I once read an article sometime ago regarding Mag vs Non-Mag primers and they determined that the Mag primers for Standard primer loads produced no significant change in pressure or accuracy.
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

The Hornady manual make the following statement: "Under no circumstances should one switch to a magnum primer with a load developed with a standard primer. Much higher pressures may be produced with the new combination."
  5. muddober

muddober Active Member

I agree and yes they will fit just fine. I have done the same thing and never had a problem. With all due respect to gdmoody just because some reloading manual has put something to print doesn't make it gospel.

Ron
    Last edited: May 4, 2009
  6. Freebore

Freebore New Member

Just got off of another forum touching on this same subject, CCI Engineering suggest backing off 5% with mag primers and work your way back (as long as you're not at, or over max loads now).

My loads were middle of the road so Mag primers made no difference. I agree that reloading manuals always take the low risk road on everything due to liability issues. I feel each barrel/case is an individual as well as the guy who pulls the trigger.
  7. Insulation Tim

Thanks for the advice guys. My loads are always low to begin with, so it would appear that these Primers should cause no problem.
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I don't know if it would hurt, because I've never tried it. But if it was me, I check with my local CAS club, and see if I could swap 'em to somebody that shoots black powder. Most of 'em use magnum primers to set off the black. And most folks that reload do more than one caliber. Good chance you could swap 'em even up, and then you would not have to worry about it.
  9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I didn't say it was gospel, I stated what was in a reloading manual. I doesn't mean that I haven't done it though.:D
  10. Insulation Tim

I loaded up 100 rounds with the MAGNUM Primers and went to the range yesterday. Everything seemed to work fine and I didn't notice any effect on the cases (.45 ACP). I thought that there was a little black smoke coming out of the barrel but that was it.

Thanks for your advice everyone.
  11. Freebore

Freebore New Member

Great....sounds like your loads agree with the new primers
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Just redevelop your load. treat the primer as a differnt primer. start back at starting charge and work your way up.... I use ONLY magnum primers in everything. It makes more sense to me to use 4 different types rather than 8. Its been working for me for 3 years now and I still have all my digits and my firearms are all still in tact... Just my way of simplifying my stocks. and saving shelf space.;)