question on muzzleloader

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by wej, Sep 27, 2009.

1. wej

wej New Member

what is the purpose of a double trigger on a muzzleloader?
  2. Rocket J Squirl

Rocket J Squirl New Member

The rear one sets the fly, and makes the front on a lot more responsive

real firearms have them also.
  3. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

In other words, the rear trigger is a set trigger. It won't fire the gun, it just "sets" the front trigger to fire with a very light pull.
  4. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Real firearms have them. The idea was dropped when they began making them new-fangled cartridge ones. Later they got smart and brought them back on a few.

Hey, Rocket --- :p

:D

Pops
  5. Oldbull

Oldbull New Member

if you are asking about a double barrelled shotgun then one trigger per barrel. If you are talking about a single barreled rifle or pistol then there are two things that will happen -a single set trigger: pulling the rear trigger will set the front trigger, then pulling the front trigger will activate the lock. If the trigger is not set then nothing will occur when you pull the front trigger. In the second situation - a double set trigger: if the rear trigger is not pulled to set the front trigger the lock will still activate when you pull the front trigger, it just requires more force when pulling the front trigger. If you pull the rear trigger then the front trigger will be set. Once the rear trigger sets the front trigger then when you pull the front trigger less force is required to activate the lock. I hope this helps.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  6. Oldbull

Oldbull New Member

Sorry, I reread your question. Set triggers were usually placed on target rifles or pistols. Their purpose was to lighten the force required to activate the lock. Less force ment that there would be less movement to the sight picture. This in turn ment a smaller disturbance to the point of impact on the target. At least that was the theory behind set triggers.
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

A double-set trigger uses two triggers. Pulling the rear one "sets" the front one, and pulling the front one fires the gun. Once the front trigger is "set", the pull is measured in ounces. If you do not "set" the front trigger by pulling the rear trigger first, the front trigger fires normally, with a (usually) 4 or 5 pound pull.

A single-set trigger uses one trigger. If you wish, you just shoot it normally, by pulling rearward. It will fire with a (usually) 4 or 5 pound pull. To "set" it, however, you push it forward until it clicks. Then it has a pull measured in ounces.

I have never heard of a gun with two triggers, that if you did not set the rear trigger, the front trigger would not fire. I think you are confused.

There was also at least one shotgun out there, that had what appeared to be another trigger, but pulling it caused the shotgun to break open. There was also at least one revolver that had, apparently, two triggers. Pulling the rear trigger fired it as a double action revolver. Pulling the front trigger cocked it, and you then pulled the rear trigger to fire it. So that would be kinda like a double set trigger on a revolver. :)
  8. Oldbull

Oldbull New Member

Alpo,
    check out TG0505 at Dixie Gun Works and enlarge the photo. You will see what I was trying to explain.
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I understand. That picture is a double-set trigger. Pull the rear trigger to set the front trigger. Don't pull the rear trigger first and the front trigger will still fire, but it has a harder pull.

Your description, however, of a "single set trigger" having two triggers is wrong. That's why it's a "single set trigger". There's only one. You push it forward to set it. Don't push it forward and it's the normal trigger.
  10. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    I have a 45 long rifle made by a very good gun maker that has a single set trigger. That single set trigger will NOT fire at all if you do not set it no matter how hard you pull it. There are some single set triggers that will not function at all if not set first, I have one of the before mentioned 45 and another out in the shop that is destined to go on a custom 56 caliber rifle.
  11. Oldbull

Oldbull New Member

Well there you go folks. Read and decide for yourselves. I do know on my 50 cal flintlock that you could beat on the front trigger forever and not get my riflelock to activate. There is no arm on the front trigger to reach and lift the lock's sear lever. Again double triggers are usually used for target rifles. Per the NMLRA "The Muzzleloading Rifle Handbook" page 9, the trigger I have on my flintlock is a double set single acting trigger. Good luck.
  12. zb338

zb338 New Member

Alpo is right on. The reason for the set is so you don't go walking around
    the woods with a hair trigger inviting an accident. When you see game
    you set the trigger and shoot. The reason you see muzzle loaders with
    them is because they usually have a long hammer fall and the light trigger
    helps overcome that a little. It also helps with the flincheys.

Zeke
  13. Oldbull

Oldbull New Member

do an internet search on set trigger. Select "Trigger Function and Terminology" and read through that info. Hopefully you will get your answer in that article.
  14. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

Figure it out yet WEJ?
  15. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

We'll get her done .