Question on reloading dies

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

BlackGun
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/27/01 6:33:38 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Question on reloading dies
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I bought a set of dies (9MM Luger carbide) for my RCBS Jr-2 press. Sent my money off and was informed in the last e-mail that they were Lee instead of RCBS! Will they work with this press?
    rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 9/27/01 8:18:56 pm

tuckerd1
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/27/01 8:51:11 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Question on reloading dies
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If they are 7/8 x 14 threads should be okay. I do believe they will work.

BlackGun
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/27/01 8:59:14 pm)
    Thanks Don! I was worried. Watch for the snail
    BlackGUN

tuckerd1
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/27/01 9:07:50 pm)
    I'm checking each day now!!

kdubaz
    (9/27/01 9:24:34 pm)
    Yeah, they'll work fine in your press, BG -

Think I'd get a rebate on the price difference, tho - substiantial between Lee and RCBS!
    Keep below the ridgeline!

tuckerd1
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/27/01 9:33:14 pm)
    kdubaz, I know ther is a price difference, some people swear that LEE is better. I can't tell, all I use are RCBS and Dillon.

I bought a LEE 35th Anniversary Kit to put together a portable reloading setup for the range. The press looked okay for its' intended use, but the powder measure looks cheap, cheap. Haven't got to use it yet, but I'll check it with electronic scale and see how it does. I'll use my RCBS dies with this deal.

BlackGun
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/27/01 9:54:48 pm)
    I strarted out in 76 (1976) that is, when I was eye ball deep in comp. shooting, reloading with a RCBS. I progressed to a Star progressive reloader. I'm a die hard RCBS man. When I was told it was Lee (tears in my eyes) I was worried I just chunked money down the drain(sigh)
    BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 9/27/01 10:57:22 pm

tuckerd1
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/27/01 10:02:28 pm)
    Steve, If you read Richard Lee's Reloading Hanbook, he swears everybody elses are overkill in material, which drives the price up unnecessarily. I know some very experienced reloaders still using Lee dies along with RCBS and others. They say they are good dies.

kdubaz
    (9/28/01 3:11:21 pm)
    Tuckerd -

I've got a Lee Powder measure - checked it on my digital scales and found it to be darn'd accurate! I'm amazed at the cheapness of it and that it consistently throws repeatable charges. Only bad thing is that the bushing will leak fine grained (pistol type) powder between it and the frame. Sorta makes a mess with it. Using stick or ball rifle powders, haven't had the first problem.

I've also got a set of Lee .223 neck sizing dies I load my Ruger .223 Rem 77R V/T with and find the case and bullet runout are very minimal with them. Had a cheaper set of 30-06 dies that I didn't think much of, tho. Have mostly RCBS on the shelf, with a sprinkling of Redding and others. Can't hardly beat the RCBS warranty. Emailed them a while back that I screwed up some decapping stems and pins and if they could send me some replacements C.O.D. They promptly mailed a package with about a half dozen stems of varying lengths, expander buttons and decap pins - ALL AT NO COST! Gotta lov'um!
    Keep below the ridgeline!

WyomingSwede
    (9/29/01 7:32:28 am)
    No problems with Lee or RCBS dies in your press. As to the powder measure....they do look cheap but are accurate. I had one for twelve years, no problems. I finally wore it out. Sent it back for reconditioning, they mailed me a new one free of charge. They aren't pretty but do the job.
    I dont particularly care for the Lee loading manual....there are better out there. Sierra or Nosler would be my purchase over the Lee guide. Regards swede
    Wyoming Swede

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/29/01 9:55:45 am)
    if you're working with once fired mil-surplus brass there's a lot to be said for the Lee dies those wimpy RCBS decapping pins always break at the worst time

loader44
    (9/29/01 4:08:35 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del dies
    Hi BG, loader here, been using Lee for all my reloading stuff, 8 years now, NEVER had any problems, would rather buy Lee than the other overpriced stuff. Just my .02 worth.
  2. pakmcc

pakmcc New Member

I starting reloading again about 10 years ago. I got the cheapest lee press they had. I've still got it and it works ok, The powder measure is crap and the powder thrower is the same. up to 50 grains of powder, I haven't looked at it in so long that I forgot if it was 100 or 50gr.s
    The powder thrower will throw good loads but the ball powders will gum up the sides and also come out ot the sides.
    I tossed a RCBS powder thrower for the same reason. it would gum up and get to stiff to throw a load of powder.
    I now use a mag. RCBS powder measure that weights up to 500 or 1,000 gr's. That's bullets or powder. and thats what I set my Dillon 550B powder measure and it will throw what ever weight of powder all day and all night with out changing. Pistol or rifle.
    probably half my dies are lee, I've got redding and RCBS and dillons I like the dillons because they have a built in ramp in the bottom of the die to help center the case as in inters the die.
    since I use a lot of different bullets, I weight almost all of them before I load a batch.(yes, there's a story behind that)
    Pat
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

nearly everything i have is lee, i agree about thier powder measure. have a lyman that works the same way but it is much more reliable and accurate. plus made of metal... but you cant beat thier dies.