Question on Remington serial #s

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by rocklinskier, Sep 7, 2009.

1. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

Need a little clarification:

On Rem rifle and shotgun models, there is a 3 letter date code on the barrel. Here is my question,

The first letter is the Month code

Is second letter is the Year code ? and if so,

What does the third letter represent?

Thanks
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

If the third character matches the second, it is a year code from 1943 to 53.

Since its a long link, I suggest that you type in "Remington date codes" from Yahoo or Google, and you will find more detailed info.
  3. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

HS,
    Yeah, I had found the links you mentioned, and there are a few years where they use a "MM" , "RR" or similar, but the guns I own are definitely later than that. I am fairly certain one is '65 (L M Q) and the other a '73 (A X R)...but was just mostly curious whether the third letter had any signifigance. Except for the guns in the '43 - '53 catagory having double letter codes, there does not seem to be any info on the signifigance of the third letter.